Guinea Pig Math Schimpf Style.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 am

Satu and Thora having been putting on weight amazingly. I no long have to hand feed either of them. Yesterday Satu reached 222gs! I'm so proud of my little runt.

SP1: Mitzy is doing GREAT! The rescue put her with one of their sows and she took a good shine to her. They plan on trying her with their female herd to see if she will do fine with many sows. Guess she just needed pigs who didn't want to make love to her every 5 seconds. Still breaks my heart to not have her here but I am so happy she is happy there.

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 am

Your guinea babies are gorgeous & you have done so well with them. How rewarding to see them grow & put on weight like that.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Thank you, it is so rewarding! I have tried to think about who I'll keep because I don't have the room to make my cages bigger so I can only keep one sow. I've tossed around the idea of allowing Kat at the rescue adopt them together and trying some of their single sows with Reko but its still up in the air.

In other news, Mojo had a vet visit.
He was walking into things in his cage, which he has never done so it worried me. He will be 4 this summer and in my mind was still young but I've noticed him aging the last 6 months. Things like not eating all his pellets every day, though still maintaining his weight, sleeping more and drinking more.

The vet ran some tests and when we got to his eyes she pulled out her light. Sure enough he has the starts to cataracts. :( Which there isn't much to do about but its one more sign that Mojo is getting old. I always thought he would never age or grow old, at least not at this age. Husband reminded me that each pig ages differently and while some live to ripe old ages of 7+, others don't. I'm hoping this is just something he will live with for another 1000 years... wishful thinking I know.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm

For years shipping KMS pellets to Canada make your wallet cry. Tonight I knew I had enough saved to at least try it out. Well turns out I had more then enough! I saved $125CND, thinking I'd maybe have enough for 20-30lbs. Turns out they have a pretty good deal with UPS. I'm getting 50lbs for just under $100 USD. with the conversion and the duty of $10 at the door it works out to be $2.20CND per pound, same as oxbow from my local (none pet selling) pet store.

I've been leaning more and more to getting some because of Romeo's calcium issues (very white pee but not sludge yet). Now I can get some much lower calcium pellets.

SkinnyPigs1: Really worth it at that price!.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 pm

When I order a 50lb bag of pellets from the Hardware store it equals to $1.42/lb for Cavy Cuisine.
BUT I would love to get lower calcium pellets.
All you have to pay is $10 for duty?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Yup, that's what they told them. So it works out to be 111 an some change CND with the duty. I figured you would want to know because of all the stone issues. Oxbow in Alberta is about that much for 50lbs, so it doesn't matter to me now with that price.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 pm

You all remember my Reko look a likes? Well last month or so I asked the lady who makes them for the rescue if she could make me Aolani. I wasn't expecting to get it until the end of April because I wasn't able to buy it until this Thursday but the lady who runs the rescue sent it early (knowing I am "good for it") as a surprise!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Hee! What did she think??

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Yes I wonder if Aolani approves; I just noticed the eyes match Aolani's beautiful blue eyes..geeze she sure does have such beautiful eyes!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Awww that is cute!

Breadfan4

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Aolani is truly one pretty piggie!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I love Aolani!