Bouncing Boars

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Heheheh, carrot flinging, a pigolympic sport!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 am

I have a bunch of photos to share eventually, but for now...

Bandit has learned a new trick:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 am

It is much better to share your favorite photos here instead of linking to facebook. Not everyone has an account there. It is therefore "private" in that sense.

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm

It's a video that's posted publicly to the rescue page; I didn't have time last night to also upload to YouTube like I usually do (our Internet is flaky in the evenings). Should I get it up on YouTube this afternoon and post that link this afternoon? I definitely didn't mean to do something that would exclude anyone; I thought if it was public anyone could see it. If that's not true, I will definitely not do it that way again! :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 pm

What isn't public is access to anything on facebook. You have to be a registered member and you have to be logged in. Otherwise linking to a facebook page gets you nowhere.

facebook likes to track every tiny thing their members do so they can make money off them.

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Boo on Facebook, then. I'm on my iPod right now so can't do anything, but once I'm at the computer this afternoon I'll get the video on YouTube and link it. Maybe I'll even get the photos up on Flickr to share!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Okay, got it uploaded to YouTube!

I'm getting photos uploaded to Flickr right now and I'll post again once they're all there.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I don't do Facebook, but had access to that page, but as I am using my Ipad I still couldn't watch the vid because it uses Flash player!

Not all on Facebook is private unless you make it so.

My girls came running when they heard the chirping!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Ah, you are right that page is accessible. I don't know how many people have posted links to their face book page and I don't have access. It did appear you had to be a member and logged in.

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Cage-cleaning photos from last week and this week!

Last Week: I put all four into the same enclosure while I was cleaning cages because I was switching back to fleece after a month or so on shavings. I figured it couldn't hurt, and it's always fun to have them play together.

We'll start with just Bandit and Batman. Note that these two are about the same size, but Bandit is much heavier. (I'll share their current weights at the end of this post.)

Best buds! by JannaLou, on Flickr

I figured I should trim the brothers' butt hair. Here's what I cut off Squeak.

Squeak's butt hair by JannaLou, on Flickr

And what I cut off Bubble.

Bubble's butt hair by JannaLou, on Flickr

I kept them occupied once all were in the pen with first carrots, then hay, and then green pepper.

The boys eating green pepper by JannaLou, on Flickr

Once they were back in their clean cages, Batman snuggled up in his Batcave.

Batman by JannaLou, on Flickr

This week: I went with putting them all in the same pen again this week.

First I weighed them, and got a couple photos of Batman and of Bubble. I wanted Batman's feet for the thread in Cavy Chat, and I wanted to post an update of Bubble's injured foot.

Here's Batman and me. I'm making a face because he was nibbling on my lips. Sometimes his kisses get a little overenthusiastic!

He was licking my lips by JannaLou, on Flickr

Here are a few shots of Bubble's foot. I don't think they show it really well, but he obviously doesn't put his weight on it normally anymore.

Bubble's mended foot, months later by JannaLou, on Flickr

Bubble's mended foot, months later by JannaLou, on Flickr

I didn't take photos of them all in the pen this week, but I have a little bit to share, at least.

I put Bandit in the pen, then added Batman, and Bandit was very excited to see who I'd brought when I walked into the living room with Batman. Those two get on so well! When I came in with Squeak, Batman was the one checking to see who I had with me.

Once all four were in the pen, they ran around rumbling and trying to mount each other. Bandit's dewlap jiggles when he runs! It's seriously one of the cutest things EVER.

One tense moment when Bubble and Squeak had a nose-off that ended with them lunging at each other. (No injuries, don't worry!) Squeak then ran away from Bubble, and Bubble came over to the side of the cage where I was and stood up on his hind legs to touch noses with me. It was really sweet. (He wouldn't let me pet him ever, but that nose thing was awesome.)

I then gave them each a bit of carrot, and Batman and Bandit got to work eating theirs while the other two turned up their noses and decided to check out what the younger two were nomming. Of course, they all played "musical carrots" - it's like a game, Squeak stole Batman's carrots twice and Bandit tried to steal Batman's... sometimes I wonder if they're all in cahoots against Batman or something.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of Bandit resting in the pen once the brothers had been returned to their cages. He was pancaked on the ground with his head down, and he was so tired he was actually closing his eyes to sleep!

Of course, resting is really important, so once they were back in their cages that's what they went for. Bandit used his bedding as a pillow.

Using the bedding as a pillow by JannaLou, on Flickr

And Batman curled up in his bed.

Batman is the cutest piggy ever by JannaLou, on Flickr

Bubble likes his bed, too. (You can see Squeak sitting in the corner, he's not big on his bed.)

Bubble is napping by JannaLou, on Flickr

And I was so glad to get this picture of Bandit a few hours later!

Look at Bandit's little feets! by JannaLou, on Flickr

Okay, I said I'd share their weights. Here's the deal. Bandit is eating Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. The other three are all on a pelletless diet with the occasional half-serving of pellets (maybe once a week). I've been doing the mix I wrote about in Cavy Chat for two or three weeks now, and the boys love it. Last week when I weighed I began to be concerned about Bubble as his weight seemed to be going down and he was over 30g lower than his average weight. Batman's been okay, but Squeak's been under 1400g for a really long time, and that's weird since he was always my heaviest pig and nearly made it to 1500g at one point last year.

It looks like the mix feed was the key to the weight problem. I'm still working out the ideal combination of veggies and base, but I think it's getting better with each version. When I have something that looks like it's a really good replacement, I'll post the recipe to that thread so other people can give it a try.

But, you want to know how much they all weigh. So here you go!

Bandit is still the heaviest, weighing in at 1429g (3g less than last week).
Batman is up to 1369g, which is a gain of 47g.
Bubble is up to 1342g, which is a gain of 58g.
And Squeak is slowly gaining on Bandit, weighing in at 1414g (a gain of 50g).

(Also, I know I shouldn't have favourites, but Batman has had my heart since day one. I can't help it!)

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 pm

A few weeks ago I took the boys out on the lawn. It was a gorgeous day with just a tiny bit of a breeze, and the grass was finally turning green, so I picked up some more grids, made a huge pen, and set it up outside. I attached two of their old water bottles and clipped a sheet over part of the pen. (Of course, they spent most of their time in the shade). There are a bunch of photos on Flickr, but here are a few of my favourite shots.

(That's the barn in the background there.)

(I think Squeak's the one in the foreground, but I'm not 100% sure.)

I cleaned cages yesterday and set up the same huge pen in the living room with my old sleeping bag (it's almost as old as I am), a fleece, and a towel on top of the carpet to protect it a bit. Before I went to actually clean the cages, I took some time to watch them and did some video.

I would appreciate it if people could watch and tell me if they think Batman's walking differently from the others. He's behaving normally for the most part but I'm paranoid. (He's the only one who scratches at the floor with his front paws. He does that when he's the only pig on the floor, too. It's kind of strange.)

Here are some photos from the end of cage cleaning, when everyone was exhausted and pancaking on the floor:

Batman let me just pet him and pet him at one point. He was chattering his teeth at the others and then I started rubbing his nose and talking calmly to him and he slowed down the chattering, then he started to pancake as I lengthened my strokes. In the end he was a flat piggy and I was just petting him while he sat quietly. Petting can be a really calming activity, for them AND for us!

This is the view of their cages from the door of the guinea pig room. If I'm feeling a little worried about someone, I will often stand in the doorway and watch them without making any noise. Bandit usually notices me first (he's in the pet store cage on top) but he just stands and looks at me and grunts quietly. If Batman notices me, all bets are off. :D

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 pm

No photos, just wanted to update quickly.

I cleaned cages today and took out the divider between Bubble and Squeak - it didn't go so well. Squeak chased Bubble all over both halves and wouldn't let him alone; Bubble ran away and when he stood up for himself it was by lunging at his brother rather than just asserting himself. It seemed like that kind of reaction was egging Squeak on, so I put the divider back in and proceeded to clean Bubble's cage. He's better off on his own for now. I think he might be okay paired up with Bandit when I can make a second space large enough for two.

Well, following that I took out the divider between Squeak and Batman, and they did really well! Batman responds to Squeak in kind, and they mostly just try to mount each other. I cleaned their cages and left the divider out, and they've been sharing for about three hours now without incident. I'll keep an eye on them, of course, but I'm pretty hopeful that they'll make it through the weekend without fighting. If they do, well, I'll have a successful pair and Batman will finally have his cagemate!