First Time Clipping Woes

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 am

Great pictures, Quiet Wren! Would you like them permanently added to this thread? Would you mind if I added this to the nail clipping page too?

Quiet Wren

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Lynx- You can permanently add the pics and use them in the nail clipping page too. I don't mind!

LS in AK - There is some stink eye going on. During the day I often drop treats in the cage. This isn't what Gus had in mind. And I'm not so sure about those abbys - what a spunky little pig Gizmo is. He certainly wants to do things his way!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks! I'll try to remember to do this tomorrow (going to sleep asap because I have to get up early).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 am

By the way, I FINALLY got these up! (was looking around for something and noticed a thread where I asked for permission, got it, and forgot to add them).

I also added an entry on the nail clipping page:

https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html#counter

I especially like countertops as they allow your pig (often) to feel more relaxed if hand feeding or, in this case, clipping nails.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 10:55 am

You are brave to clip by youself. I always hold them upright in my lap facing away from me while my husband clips. I can hold each paw and toe still while he cuts.

What clippers do you use? We've had good luck with small animal clippers. They are small scissors with a round hole in the blade. We found these work better on their round nails than human nail clippers which are designed for flat nails.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 am

Quiet Wren- your pictures hadn't downloaded on my screen when I wrote the above. They are fantastic and I am impressed.

Kylo

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:20 am

Look at Gus! What a fine gentleman holding up through the dreaded clipping.
Even after almost a year, I need my partner to physically restrain Harvey. He fights, bites and squeals like he's being murdered... Drama king. Roger needs restrained, but he's not a fighter. He'll stay there and it's over so much faster and I have less wounds. I'm going to try the Gus method myself - I just got small rodent clippers.

Quiet Wren

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 pm

It's actually a pretty relaxed hold. I've found that the tighter I hold, the more they fight me! So I hold the paw gently and move with them until they relax - then snip! Then repeat. It mostly takes patience.

Gizmo is a nipper. Anything that doesn't suit him 100% earns me a nip. Brat. :) So doing his nails is more challenging! He has never bit hard enough to hurt or leave a mark, but he makes me NERVOUS!

Quiet Wren

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I just use human nail clippers. The regular sized ones. When I started doing this years ago, there wasn't anything decent on the market for tiny nails. There might be some better options by now, but I am used to those so I never looked again.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun May 19, 2013 5:35 am

That is a great photo sequence. Wish my piggies would hold still like that. I have to hold them on a towel on my lap, with an additional blanket for restraint (just in case) and I have to sit in the pig pen (just in case...)

I've found that a few carefully selected treats shoved in piggy mouths at strategic times (ie when chisel teeth need something more useful to do than aim for my fingers) helps make nail clipping easier, especially when you have a nippy pig.

I use human nail clippers, too, the larger ones as my piggies have developed thickened back nails as they've aged. The smaller ones are great for babies and young pigs. The opening is narrow enough that it is harder to take off too much at once.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sun May 19, 2013 8:58 am

They cant half make u feel guilty some times

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 am

Ditto LS in AK about how they can be safer due to how wide they open. You do need toenail clippers once they really thicken up!

I've added some of your additional comments, Quiet Wren, and some of LS in AK's comments.