Tiggy's hairloss/skin issues

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm

From researched info and GL and Google med pages on Specific Gravity -

Normal dogs and cats is a MINIMUM of 1.030.

Normal human values are between 1.003 and 1.035 (g·cm−3) but usually between 1.020 to 1.028 (or 1.010 to 1.035 g/ml depending on source).

A fixed low specific gravity is an indication of chronic renal disease. If fluid intake is stopped for 24 hours, a normal (human) kidney will secrete urine with a specific gravity of at least 1.025.

One vet said 1.012 - 1.018 would be more of a range for a pig in kidney failure, which makes sense given the info above.

Note: Normal value ranges may also vary slightly among different laboratories.

So, are we any wiser about Tiggy's result being 'bang in the middle'?!

I need to see if they have an actual figure as given for Chilli.

Either way it seems her remaining kidney is doing its job. If only the other organs would follow. ;·)

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 am

Well, haven't really felt the need to update here in a while even though Tiggy has been prone to getting blood in her urine on occasion, a dose of Baytril and much probiotics usually fixed it.

The last episode was quite hard on Tiggy however, it took about 3 weeks of Baytril to fix and she needed much probiotics and something to get her bowels moving again. Some months later we are down this road again but this time it may be the last.

For the first time Tiggy is off her food completely. Being hand fed and on metacam spray as well as Baytril she has shown no improvement this week. Today she was back at the vet who thinks there is something else going on this time. Tiggy has had vetergesic too for pain and olive oil to keep the bowels moving to no avail. She goes in for an X-ray on Monday to see what the problem is. I'm just not sure she'll hang on that long. There's not really enough food or water that she actually swallows to help keep things going. She sits most of the time looking uncomfortable but spaced out, probably due to the pain meds. :-(

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 am

Oh no! I hope Tiggy's problems can be sorted out and she'll be ok again!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 7:54 am

X-ray shows Tiggy has bladder stones. One quite big but not passable or flushable. Vet not willing to operate but says if it was in the next day or two before she goes too downhill, there's a chance for her.

Tiggy has an appointment with Thistle Cavies good vet tomorrow to see what he says. I know everything is stacked against her but I think I owe her one last chance, the alternative is to have her PTS this week, it's not fair to keep her going the way she is. She's a fighter but been through so much already.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 am

Your a good mom. You'll do what's best for Tiggy no matter how hard it is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Good wishes here. I know Tiggy is a special guinea pig.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm

I hate to hear Tiggy is doing poorly. I'll be thinking of her.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Sending good thoughts for you and Tiggy. She is a wonderful, special girl.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm thinking of you both. Poor Tiggy. She's such a special girl. Hugs.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 am

Tiggy's X-ray of her bladder stones is below. There are 3 visible you can see next to the spine.

We went down and saw the TC vet who was a lovely guy and confirmed what my vet said and had a look at the X-rays.

We also got a pee sample and did a urine test with the dipsticks that unfortunately showed ketones were showing and also bilirubin. After further examination the vet thought that there was something else going on with her liver and it felt enlarged or there was a mass near or on it. My vet also thought there was something else going on in there so this really confirmed it.

With this in mind and the fact Tiggy was looking pretty disinterested in things by now, the decision was made to have her put to sleep. It wouldn't have been fair to put her through another car journey or for her to go on any longer, she wasn't going to get better and unlikely to pull though an operation.

Misty is missing her but Mrs Tiggy-Winkle rests in peace now and I'm gutted at the loss of my little superstar piggy. :o(

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 am

I'm so sorry. :(

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 am

Oh my goodness, I'm so very sorry. Tiggy was such an amazing pig-girl. I have no doubt that she knew how much you loved and adored her. Big hugs.