Bladder stone surgery for an older pig

couchon

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Be careful with calcium content in spring water! Some spring water has actually quite high calcium content.

I give mine Poland Spring, which doesn't seem too bad (but my piggies both have sludge, so I am wondering if that's caused by Poland Spring - I don't know)... I have looked into filters, but every time I find one there seems to be an issue with it I don't like.

I think you are making a great decision for your piggy! Good luck :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Hope all goes well. Sending good thoughts to Chewy (and you) for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I will be thinking about him! Hope he pulls through.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Read and re-read www.guinealynx.info/.html Ask your vet for advice too (if there is any extra advice, let us know and I can add it to the guide).

Melody R

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 9:08 am

Sending good thoughts Chewy's way today! Hope all goes really well and he has a speedy recovery! Be sure to let us know how everything goes.

couchon

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am

Also sending good thoughts to Chewy!

zoseyposey

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Thank you all for your warm wishes and thinking of Chewy today. It means a lot. :)

I heard from the vet a little while ago...she said it went very quickly since it was just one large stone rather than several smaller ones. She said it was the size of a pea - the team was referring to it as a dinosaur egg. :)

He's resting comfortably in an incubator and is off oxygen. He'll be staying with them until Sunday, or possibly Monday. The day can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned...can't wait!

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Glad all went well for Chewy's op. Hope he recovers well & gets back home soon.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Best wishes for a speedy, unevental recovery.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Glad to hear he made it through surgery, I hope his recovery goes by fast and he regains himself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Is there someone there at all times of the day to hand feed and give pain medication if necessary?

Hoping he recovers quickly.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Glad he made it through!

Why are they keeping him there for so long? Mine have always been able to come home the same day as their surgeries. Hand feeding and post-op care are so vital to his recovery. Please double check to make sure someone is there 24/7 to keep an eye on him and hand feed every 2 - 3 hours.

Hoping he has a speedy recovery and will be home soon!