Favourite Foods

kibele

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm

hey...new here, i've had piggies for 3 years now... my girls love grass of course, and yes, they have different tastes, but usually the younger one wants whatever the older one has:)

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 pm

The Organic Spring Mix greens that I buy for the pigs have beet greens in them. Can pigs eat beet greens? I've been avoiding giving them to them because I don't know. I've looked on the thread and can't find them.

lunarminx

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:21 pm

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/sho ... post254730

It says beet greens only once or twice a month.

lunarminx

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Cilantro, carrots, red/green lettuce, apples, pellets, cucumbers, watermelon, pears, green grapes. This is going to get me hollered at(maybe) Dole Fruit&Juice Pinapple bars, they come running when they hear the wrapper and each get a few nibbles.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Go easy on the fruit and use it like treats. Give very sparingly. Just about all fruit has too much sugar and can disrupt the digestive tract.

Princess Phoebe

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 am

My two practically inhale spring mix, happily chomp parsley (they prefer the leafier 'Italian parsley') they like an occasional carrot, and apple chunk.

They also like their assorted lettuces - we started growing our own! Spring mix is an actual plant, all the different ones were growing together. I don't know if it's some sort of hybrid or what, but it was kind of cool and 1.25 at the market. We are also growing celery, but it seems that it'll be another month or so before it's ready.

Lissinea

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 am

I have only had Penny a week, but so far she loves green leaf lettuce, baby carrots, blueberries, and she loooves banana (which I have since learned to give her sparingly). I have offered her cucumber and red pepper, but she didn't eat them. I'm going to try the grape/cherry tomatoes and cilantro and see what she thinks.

Niko Yipyip

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:36 pm

My pig loves apples and strawbeery

Niko Yipyip

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:37 pm

my pig loves apple, kale and strawberries.

Niko Yipyip

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:39 pm

im confused i acedently typed that twice

Niko Yipyip

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 pm

My piggy moka is picky. He does not like Carrots, rasberries and bell peppers. The only fruits and veggies he does like so far are apples, strawberries and kale.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Here's a thread I wrote for another forum on how to teach your pig to eat vegetables: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... vegetables

He NEEDS bell peppers for the vitamin C. He does NOT need fruit on a regular basis. Guinea pigs weren't engineered to process sugar very well, and should only have fruit as a treat occasionally.

Kale is too high in calcium and oxalic acid to be fed regularly, and can contribute to painful, expensive bladder stones. Red or green leaf lettuce is a much better choice.

See www.guinealynx.info/.html for some other suggestions.