Introduction Day - We're all Nervous

Kylo

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 am

Today the wonderful Charlie and and Harvey are being introduced.
I have gradually worked up to this point because I truly need this union to work and so do they. We do not want solo pigs.
I am prepared to separate, try again and again and at last resort, find them each a new friend.
I have been very convinced of their compatibility thus far. Today I'm doubtful and anxious. It must be introduction day nerves.

Harvey is almost 11 months old. He has mellowed considerably in the last few weeks. He had a pairing before, a big chubby brute of a pig who had the sweetest temperament generally but refused to bow down to the adolescent nightmare that Harvey became. Roger is now paired up with a lovely pig exactly like him. They eat, sleep together and are so happy.

Charlie is approximately 6 months old. A little older than I would have liked but he was an 'unwanted' pig that no one wanted to adopt. That's what attracted me to him. He's lovely, but lonely.

Harvey is currently 980g and Charlie is a whopping 950g for his age. They were just weighed yesterday.

I've been slowly getting them used to the smell of each other.
After quarantine and vet checks I stopped changing and washing between cuddle sessions.
I swapped some pillows between cages, I moved them into the same room and last night I sat beside Harvey's cage with Charlie. 'Charlie is easier to hold, he doesn't try to escape or chew my clothes to bits'
I sat right beside the bars and let them sniff each other through them. They were curious, wheeked a little and Charlie was eager to be closer. No chattering, no grumbling.

Everything is being decontaminated today, right after I post this.
And we're going into my large hallway to intro, where neither have ever been. I'll have plenty of hay, veggies and cardboard tunnel hideys. And I'll have my separation tools on hand.

Is there anything else I can possibly do? And for the love of god, wish us luck!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 am

Good luck. I'm doing intros later today, too. Gabe is 10 mos. old and our little wildman/"ADHD" pig; Sammy is 6 mos. old and very laid-back. Should be interesting! We're hoping Sammy's temperament rubs off on Gabe rather than the other way around. ;)

Fingers crossed for us both.

Kylo

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 pm

And we have a pair. :) Gonna put the videos up later, after I actually get to shower and groom myself a bit.
They hashed it out in my hallway and they're good. No issues. I'm so relieved.
Good luck self1268!

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Congratulations on Phase 1 Kylo. May it continue forever. But please keep in mind, that there may still be some flare-ups. I wouldn't say you're out of the woods yet, though you've made an excellent start!

Kylo

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks Jacqueline! They're in their cage together at the moment. Lost of rumbling still. But they're still very 'polite' regardless.
Here is part 1 of my intro video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQi5iZi0 ... e=youtu.be

Part 2 is still uploading

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Looks good so far!

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Kylo, your video is not only entertaining but is a good resource as to what is normal behavior during introductions. Glad it is going well so far.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Ditto Crazy. Everyone who worries about introduction should watch this.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am

Great videos and good resource for anyone looking to do introductions. I think the prep work you did before the actual introduction of letting them smell each other and swapping their things also helped. Harvey is such a vocal pig. All the best that they continue to do well together.

Kylo

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks everyone! We still have a decent bit of rumbling going on, but I found them sleeping together this morning, they're both eating well and lots of popcorning! They seem a bit wary of the open food level but they both can use the ramps and I've been dragging hay and pellets down them. They both want the same ramp at the same time but seem to be sharing well :-)
I'll be doing a little cage tour video later and update on the boys
Thanks for the support so far

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:42 am

I really enjoyed the introduction videos.