Know you guinea pig, know your poo

emilyam19

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 pm

For anyone who is interested in using Bio Sponge (one of the products suggested that I'll be using on Charlie), a helpful contact is Heather Mathews (Platinum Advisor Team). We spoke with her about ordering a syringe and she was nice enough to even give us a free shipping code. Her number is (800) 553-2400 ext. 112

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Platinum Performance really does have excellent customer service. I think they sent me a catalogue or something in the mail, and I called to ask to be taken off of their mailing list so that I wouldn't receive any more. I don't remember who I spoke to, but I explained that Buttercup, the guinea pig the Bio Sponge was for, had died. I was having a very hard time accepting that she was gone, and getting mail from Platinum Performance was just like a sad reminder of all the things we had tried that weren't able to save her.

I knew I probably sounded really stupid as I was explaining all of this, but the person on the phone was so nice. She said that she was so sorry the Bio Sponge didn't work and offered to give me a full refund, even though that isn't what I had called for. I didn't accept the offer - after all, it wasn't their fault that Buttercup didn't respond to any treatment and that she had died - but I was very impressed by the level of customer service I received. The Platinum Advisor that I spoke to seemed genuinely upset to hear about Bcup's death. I got the feeling that the people at Platinum Performance really are animal lovers and really do care about the animals their products are used for.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 am

wenton5, thanks for starting this thread! I actually have some poop-related concerns to share.

My niece and brother asked me to come over today to clip her guinea pig's nails (they only got him recently and were worried about hurting him). It turned out to be a difficult task because his nails were so encrusted with poo I couldn't see a thing. My niece tried to get the poo off with a wet paper towel but it was really crusted on there. I asked how often they sweep the poops and my niece said every day, but she added that the pig always lies in his poops in his pigloo. I looked in the cage and noticed that the fleece was smeared from soft, light-colored, stinky poops. The pig himself also stinks, but I can't tell if it's from the poop or something else. I asked if they give him baths, and my niece says they do, about once a month or so.

This pig has had soft smelly poops as long as they've had him, at least that I've seen. I told them to feed less veggies and more hay for now, and to take the pig plus a stool sample to the vet. But I know they won't do it because my brother and sister-in-law are very busy people, and the pig appears completely healthy aside from the smell and soft poops. Plus I told them the same thing the last time I was there and they still haven't done it. I directed my niece and sister-in-law to this site but I doubt they use it much. Mostly, they just ask me their questions. I'm all like guys, I'm not the guinea pig whisperer; I just do a lot of research on the internet. 90% of the stuff I tell them is from GL.

I've been reading through all the linked threads on soft poops and none of the circumstances sound exactly the same as this pig, so I am confused.

How would you guys recommend I proceed? I don't want to be overly paranoid but this situation really doesn't seem normal. My niece doesn't seem to mind his stinkiness and soft poop, but if he were my pig, it would bother me a lot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 am

I totally understand about worrying about the soft poop and stinkiness. Other things that may happen is they pay less attention to him due to smell. Smell can also indicate bacterial growth, perhaps meaning a UTI could be more likely if there is contamination.

How about take out the pigloo. Encourage the pig to move around more. Make sure the cage is really big. Do a really really close analysis of food provided. Someone recently had a problem with a single batch of Oxbow pellets. Bring over some of yours, clean the cage really well, maybe try aired pine shavings for a while.

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 pm

It turned out to be a difficult task because his nails were so encrusted with poo I couldn't see a thing.
This is a problem for all the pigs in my herd because of Charlie's poop issues. Running it under water or using a damp cloth doesn't work once the poop has dried. I have to pick it off dry with my finger nails. They hate it (sometimes the poop is so thick I can't exactly see where I'm picking so I think I might actually be scratching their toes) but it's the only way I can get this stuff off their toes. Then after I wash off their feet and put them in the cage, they'll step in another poop pile and I'm right back where I started.

I try to spot clean at least once a day and daily I change out pads to cut down on how many soft poops are in the cage but it's a constant battle to keep things somewhat sanitary. The food bowls are usually caked with poop along the rim (this can happen overnight). The beds and most of the fleece are smeared with poop each day.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks, guys! The pig is currently in a 2x3 C&C. My suspicion is that he doesn't get enough hay, because my niece insists on giving him his hay in a small little ceramic bowl instead of a hay rack or hammock like most owners on here seem to. Like just a small kid-sized handful of hay. I told her he needs a constant supply of hay, and she keeps assuring me he has one, but I find it hard to believe a little handful of hay will suffice while she's at school and her parents are at work.

My Dad told me to make them a hay rack like the one I use (I know my pigs whack hay like there's no tomorrow.) Here's a photo:

But I'm not sure my niece's family will use it b/c the kid got very upset when I put a large (grownup-size) handful of hay in the cage instead of a neat little kid-sized one in the ceramic bowl.

That's another problem. My niece seems to have her own little system for taking care of the pig (the cage is in her bedroom) and gets upset if it seems like I'm criticizing it, no matter how tactful I try to be. And her parents just get mad at me for upsetting the kid even though that wasn't my intention.

I will try to follow your advice, Lynx, although it might be difficult since I don't see them all that much, and as I said above, i'm dealing with a family who is very set in their pig care ways, and who don't seem to mind the soft poos and the smell since the pig seems otherwise healthy. But if I'm going to be called over every time they need to clip his nails, I'm going to tell them they gotta learn to clip his nails themselves (I linked the GL page), because I am not here for scraping poop off with my fingernails and the smell legit makes me want to boot. Maybe they are used to it so they don't mind as much, but for me, it's always an unpleasant shock. It makes me feel bad to say that, but you know, I already got two piggies of my own to take care of. I'm glad to help, but they gotta learn sometime.

My brother, at least, seems more amenable to taking my advice and was asking about a more open hidey than the pigloo, like the one I use (it's just a desk organizer shelf thing I got at an office supply store, and then pinned a scrap of fleece to as a "curtain"). My niece is a good kid, but is still a kid, and I don't feel very comfortable with her being the pig's primary caretaker. It bothers me that she was the only one observing carefully during my nail clipping adventure. I should've insisted my brother watch since he's going to be doing this next time. Sigh.

Thanks again for the responses!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I wonder if putting the pig in a shallowly filled sink with a bowl of greens to help soften the poop on the feet would help.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 pm

pigwidgeon, it is great that you are pushing the hay issue, I would be concerned about the smell. Maybe a little dose of benebac would help clean his gut out. Stinky poo is something that would get my attention.
Thanks,
L

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 pm

The second link is from Topaz and the third from slavetofuzzy.

wenton5

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Awesome! I would also like to refer back to Charlie's medical thread by emilyam, there is mention of Giardia, check list for possible problems, poop and medical chart and Zoe's long term on and off poops. Thanks everyone. :) L

wenton5

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

I know that this is for humans but I did read somewhere that a guinea was diagnosed with this. Just something to add to the mix when trying to target hard to diagnose cases.
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Helicob ... h-Pain.htm,