Introduction Day - We're all Nervous

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 am

Really nice videos, and it looks like the intro went quite well! (You have a lovely speaking voice, by the way). :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:07 am

Great videos! Would you like me to add a link to them somewhere in the guide or on a page linked to by the guide? (maybe Tracis' links thread)

Kylo

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:41 am

If you think they would be educational Lynx then of course!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:53 am

I added a link to your thread here and also direct links to your two videos:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... hp?p=84#84

aspecht

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm

I just watched your videos, your intro was mild compared to mine! There was TONS of chasing and mounting. I did find it funny when you said that it was adorable when the one pig was trying to mount the other lol.

Kylo

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Thank you, Lynx.

I have really bad news guys. They started fighting. I caught some of the details in my videos.
I was just doing a little check in video when it started to happen.
I cannot believe this happened after a full night of peace. I'm also glad it happened when I was right in front of the cage though.
My videos of it all are very brief.
And if you want to use any of the videos that I post on pigs, Lynx, you can.

Part 1; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RDi_FVn ... e=youtu.be

Part 2; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33CvWqnI ... e=youtu.be

Patr 3; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pknjNNai ... e=youtu.be

Okay guys, what now?
I've been through this before and there was nothing I could do to fix it. I desperately want these two to get along, and they're so eager to be together. What can I do?

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 pm

I would eliminate the ramps seeing how it appears to start the arguments/fighting since they both want access to the same ramp.

I don't know if you should start the whole process over again by putting them on neutral territory, or if you should skip that entirely and just try again in the cage without the ramps. Someone with more experience will pipe in here.

Even though it did not work, your video's are very informative. I don't think you should give up yet, but I also would be discouraged too if it were me.

Kylo

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm thinking of expanding the main 2x6 level by sliding it sort of into the top correx only level, because it's so much wider, expanding it out drastically and giving them just floor space.
I would keep at it today but Charlie has a cut on his nose and he's very relaxed now he is alone. The cut isn't very deep, I cleaned it with a saline solution and there is no bleeding. I'm going to weight them this evening. I just want everything to settle down for now and I don't want to poke and prod at them anymore.

But Harvey has just got on my nerves so much. Charlie has been pretty submissive the whole time for him. Harvey harassed him steadily. This is what ended up happening before, except Roger wasn't willing to be submissive one bit and they both flew at each other any time they could get to each other.
Now Harvey is in the bottom cage being more quiet than I have ever witnessed and sulking as if I took his best friend away. Unbelievable.

I don't want to rehome Charlie. He's a sweetheart and I have a good home for him here. I don't exactly have the resources for 4 boars either.

It's, just, a mess.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Sometimes they are happy enough being close but separate. I used to pet sit two boars who were like that. The enjoyed each others company through the grids. They would communicate and eat beside each other, but just could not be in the same space at the same time.

Kylo

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm

I would definitely do that further down my list of options. I'm planning to introduce them again in a couple of days. They do seem to be missing each other this evening, so I hope that time apart but in close proximity will be good for them again.
It's very quiet in the cages at the moment.
I do also want to leave the buddy bath option for a while too.
Reintroduction might never work regardless. I'll have my partner film the entire retry so I have my hands free.
Exhausted mum!

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I have two girls, Annie and Olive. I was hoping they would become roommates. I made a 3x4 cage and divided it in the middle (essential 2 3x2 cages put together). Annie was on one side, Olive on the other. I gave them a week to see and smell each other.

When I tried introductions after a week, it went very badly and I had to stop and put them back into their divided cage again.

I'm not giving up, however. Nor should you. I know the "rules" for introducing here, and totally respect them, but my experiences have led me to sometimes think outside the box.

I'm hoping with more time I can try introductions again - perhaps in a week. If that still doesn't work, we'll try it again a week later.

Right now, the way the cage is set up, they really could stay this way permanently if they had to, so there's no pressure.

I'd wait a few days, then maybe try again. In the meantime, you may want them to be separated by a grid so they can still see and smell each other. And definitely do away with the second story for now.

Kylo

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 am

I admire your determination! If I recall correctly Annie was in with your lethal pigs? I thought that was going okay!
The fact that my boys spent 24hours together happily gives me hope. I'll put them side by side today and see how they respond to closeness. I mean, Harvey truly isn't himself right now, I think they can work.
It may have been a mum error that tipped tension over the edge. They were fine with towel tents, the second I put in actual tunnels t
hey just got more and more 'upset'
Taking away the ramps and using towel tents might keep the peace. I was thinking of doing an introduction tomorrow. Is that too soon?