Introduction Day - We're all Nervous

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I am no expert, but for what its worth I would see how they do with the divider for a couple of days. I would keep the cage the same with the towel tents when the divider is up and when you take the divider down, that way there is nothing new to argue about, or fight over.

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Poor Annie was in with two lethals and Elaine. In a months time the two lethals and Elaine all died, so Annie went from having 3 cagemates to being alone.

One of the things I've done is to keep the divider attached, but moveable. So I would give them (I actually forget which grouping of piggies I did this with!) longer and longer times together when I could supervise. At night, and when I was at work, I'd keep the divider up. I know it's not the standard for introductions, but in this situation it worked. Eventually, after several days, they didn't need the divider any longer.

Meal times are the hardest, so maybe keep them divided especially then.

Have you tried a buddy bath yet?

Kylo

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:03 am

My boys ate breakfast together the next morning fine, I set their bowls in opposite ends of the cage and watched, no incidents whatsoever. I think tge ramps and adding in tunnels set them off.
I'll keep them divided until the weekend. I really want a full day to reintroduce. I'm so sorry about Annie btw, losing 3 pigs must have been hard on you all!
A buddy bath is on my list! But it's further down, I want to try tour idea first :-)

SnazzyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 pm

My boys were like that for a month before settling down. They never injured each other and both were eating so I let them be. I think it might have been harder on me then it was on them. It's been 5 months now and while they are not friends they do live fairly peacefully together. I don't get to see cute piggy cuddles or anything but that's ok. Once a month they go through it for a day or two so I put a stuffed duck in to cut down on the drama. It has helped a lot, my bog guy Popper will mount the duck after a small amount of chasing Moe. Good luck, I hope it works out. Your boys are both so adorable!

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:49 am

My four boys are all like that as well. They're fine about 80% of the time. then there are the days when one of them decides he wants to be the king of all he surveys and there's chasing and mounting. Boys will be boys.

I do also notice that when there's a storm brewing, they get much worse - I do think the weather affects their little boy hormones!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 am

I will be honest I have had more luck with cold turkey intros than ones that involved a divided cage first. It doesn't make any sense and I've only done the divided thing twice, so it may not mean anything, but that has been my experience.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm

I know, I know, it's not the best way to go. I'm not even trying to suggest it is. Seriously. I just know that sometimes it seems to work

Kylo

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm

The weather did just turn from sunny to god awful here, I'll admit.

Well, I've had them in a divided cage all day and it's annoying if I'm honest.
Harvey has done nothing but chew on the bars to get to Charlie and I'm concerned about his teeth. Like he's very violently yanking at them. He wants to mount Charlie so badly lol.
They are both rumblestrutting back and forth against the barrier. No jumping at it, no real aggression, a little bit of chattering.

My cold turkey intro seemed to work, it turned ugly after a day. I'll give this a go until Saturday. Hopefully they'll get more familiar and calm with each other being side by side. Then I'm going to reintroduce from scratch on Saturday. Can I use the same place I did before?

I'm glad you're encouraging to keep at this Jacqueline, they seem to really love each other when they get along, if I can get them through the initial meeting and settling roles phase I'm convinced they'll be great buds.
I think Charlie being around adolescence and Harvey not too long out of it might be a part of the issue. So time will tell...
I will continue to try and try.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 pm

If the grid chewing gets to be too much, you can buy some plexi glass, or acrylic sheets and clip it to t grids. They would still be able to see each other, just not chew grids.

Kylo

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 am

I had to cabletie cloths over the grids as a temporary barrier, so the chewing was muffled by cloths. They were both frantic at losing sight of each other but what else can I do at 2am?