Life according to Alice

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Alice's haircut was going pretty well. I had plans to make her look slightly like a lion pig. (with longer hair because she is a girl, afterall.)
Those plans got derailed when the Princess decided that she was finished with her haircut.

I got a palm sized pile of hair.

Ok, ok. I chickened out. I just couldn't do it. What if her pretty hair didn't grow back as pretty?
She realized this and smirked at me. You can just see it in the picture.
Maybe one day...

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Alice is a beautiful piggy. She's got her mum wrapped around her paws too. The trim looks like it went well.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:30 am

Well, we are off to the vet tomorrow.
Someone left a few red spots in the cage right after I cleaned it yesterday.
Couldn't figure out who it was. I set out some white towels this morning and caught the culprit.
Miss Latte peed blood. To me, it seems a lot. She hasn't been acting different and this is the first I've seen of it.
Hoping UTI but planning financially for a stone.

This stuff always happens on the weekend. Jeez.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Have you checked her ladybits? Did they look normal?

Best wishes no matter what it is...

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm

They do look normal. When she pees, there is blood on the fleece and I've wiped it off of her bits. I think I've heard her cry while peeing once but dismissed it because Alice was near her and purring.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, Ouiser stands as proof that strong lady pigs can pass stones and live on. Paws crossed!

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 pm

This weekend, I am pig sitting. My daughters friend has a female and they have the class pig for half of the summer. (I've done all I can to educate the school. They won't listen.)
He is about 5 and is the sweetest boy around. He is kept in a tiny pet store cage with a layer of care fresh. He gets good hay (supplied by me from mysweet meadow stash) and, of course, the worst pellets out there. Hartz Bonanza.
I decided to build a hotel for him out of the leftover grids I have. It is only a 2x2 with a cover but he has twice as much room as his pet store cage.
I put the fleece in and set him in. He stood there for a second and then did a lap. He promptly dropped some Eau de Boar and popcorned.
I stuck hay in and he dove in.
Filled his dish with oxbow pellets and he ate. Then he popcorned.
Piney then walked over to the side of the cage and stared at me for a minute, then he popcorned.

I caught him doing zoomies this morning. He also wheeked for veggies.
I caught him hiding behind his hay pile. I think he was afraid that someone might see him and take the big room away.
Unfortunately, he goes back tomorrow, to my daughters friends house.
At least, for a weekend, he knew the good life. It makes me very sad that he has to go back to a cage barely bigger than a 1x2.

The fleece and towels are so thick because I didn't have extra coro and it needed a top and bottom because there are 3 females and he is unaltered. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 am

Oh, that makes me sad too! Could you lend them the cage for the summer? How about show them a video of what happiness means?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 am

Do they have room for a decent cage at the school? If so, I will donate the cage. Maybe your daughter and you can help build it so they can see how easy it is. I do think the video is a good idea. They probably don't know what a happy guinea looks like!

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 am

Yes, they do and I would gladly donate mine. They won't listen. It's more work to them.
This is the pig whose nails I've been clipping and my daughter used to clean his cage during the school year. I'm going to give my friend the cage for the rest of the time she has him. I've got a full bag of Oxbow pellets that I'm going to send as well.
I've thought about getting together with friend and plotting to fake Piney's death. I would donate the grids and fleece and continue on giving hay for him. Friend can have him at her house. The kids are going to middle school this coming year so no one has to know that old man Piney is alive and acting like a very young man. :)
Time to get ready for church. I'll ask forgiveness for the plot I'm seriously wanting to put in motion.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 am

More work?! It's LESS work! And twice the fun.

If the girls will be in MS, who will take care of him? Poor fella. I wonder if just going to the teacher and asking for him to live out his days in a stressfree environment would be a good idea? He can be brought in for educational visits if they want?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I have them for One more night. Friends got back a bit late and I told her to leave them til I get home from work.
Then she and I can sit down and figure out what we can do.

I'm not sure when he has to go back to the teacher. I think end of summer. If so, she can keep the setup I provided him for the weekend, until end of summer.
If we can get the school to listen, he will have to stay at friends house.
I don't have the means to take care of him if he gets sick, at this time.
If she gets him, I'll still provide his hay and let her keep the cage. I'll even help with his pellets if she needs.
She may be able to spay her female and let them live together. Val is only a year old as opposed to Piney being 5. I assume it would be better.
If our financial situation changes, I may offer to help with the cost of the spay.

He is such a good boy. He didn't seem unhappy but he didn't seem happy either.
He has found his little wheeker and takes his baby carrot and runs around the cage.
I'll keep an update going. If the school won't give him up then I will offer up his cage and an instruction on fleece care as well as what he needs each day. He went from getting sporadic veggies to twice a day at my house.
Friend tries but she is still new to the whole concept of veggies and such. I'm working on that too.