Charlie's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 am

I think the theory is they are looking for more nutrients if they steal poop (I think I've heard of some ill pigs following well pigs around, hoping for a special poop).

emilyam19

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am

It wasn't a fresh poop though I'm not sure how long it was there. He sniffed another one before that and then walked over to eat the other poop.

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Last night Charlie had a small bout of the messy soft droppings. It wasn't for very long but it did smear on my clothes. The weird thing is within 10 minutes from that he had a perfectly normal dropping. I have never seen one like that from him (the most normal poops from Charlie still have a Hershey's kiss tip to them) and wouldn't have believed it if he didn't do it in front of me on my lap.

This morning when I gave him his meds, I noticed he had some fecal matter smeared on his underside. I'm really confused about the huge difference in his droppings in such a short period of time. I emailed the vet photos.

Here are what most of his droppings looked like in the past few days.

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 am

It looks like Charlie is backsliding. Tonight his droppings are becoming more like the gooey mounds he had earlier. When I picked him up this evening all his feet were covered in his soft droppings and it was smearing everywhere. I also saw some stuck like before when they were too soft to pass. Also I’ve been giving him probiotics the last few days. I’ll email the vet an update. It looks like we’re going to have to move onto an antibiotic.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm

I am so sorry Charlie stools are getting softer. It must be frustrating trying everything with no results.

There are little white spots in the first photo. Do you know what they are?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Have you tried flagyl? I'd do that before I'd go to an antibiotic.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:57 pm

I thought flagyl (Metronidazole) was an antibiotic but one that is effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I think there's some nit-picking over whether it's an antibiotic or not. It's not a general-use one, and is often classified as an anti-protozoal.

But it's worked well for my pigs when they've had smushy poops.

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Delaine, which photo are you referring to? Odd shaped #1? I didn't notice those until just now but it could also be something picked up from when I moved it to the paper to take a photo.

bpatters, he's currently taking flagyl (.33 twice a day). Tomorrow would mark two weeks for him. A few days ago his poop seemed to firm up but that was right after a period where he wasn't going at all. Now everything from him is the same gooey consistency.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 am

It is dated July 23 and looks like it has been squished or stepped in. There are little white dots in the center of it. I thought they looked a little like tiny worms or eggs.

emilyam19

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 am

You're right, I hadn't noticed those before. The same little specks are in another photo. I'm not sure if it's actually there or something weird with the camera. I'll wait for Charlie to go again and see if I can find anything in person -it shouldn't take long.

gizzy

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm

The Poo's in at the top photo look something like a pig I had with a Protozoan infection , in his case it was Giardia, and possibly the Metronidazole (flagyl) is not affective against this parasite, !!!!!

When it was finally realized that it was Giardia (none of the classic symptoms!!!!) That my pig was suffering from he was put on a 10% solution of Panacur 0.45ml once a day for five days, and at cleared it up.

The only downside is that it has a habit of reoccurring he starts to feel light and drop's 50 or so Grams and his Poo's get a tiny bit smaller, I give him one single dose of Panacur. And that put him back on track for six months or so,

I would get another broad spectrum poo analysis done but as it only happens periodically now and I am a self funded sanctuary 50 pigs , it wouldn't justify the cost

NB the Poo's in the bottom photo may well indicate a Giardia infection as sloppy Poos are the primary symptom apparently