Supporting Our Rescuers

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:52 pm

Besides direct donations to the rescue of your choice, there are some easy methods to help contribute to the support of some of our rescues. For example, Teresa Murphy mentions using the igive.com site when you make purchases online. This way, a part of your purchase is contributed by the company to a specified non-profit. More is explained at: http://www.cavyspirit.com/helping.htm

It happens I have to make a purchase from theferretstore (they carry Oxbow timothy pellets and offer free shipping over $25) and I wanted to remember to use the igive site this time.

Other people sometimes donate a portion of their sales to support rescues too (I think an acquaintence of Ladyveg makes cavy cosies and helps her rescue from sales).

So, I´m sticking this up here because last time I forgot. I hope to report it is an easy process. And I need pellets now!

The igive link is www.igive.com/cavyspirit

Current promotion: Join iGive.com for free and make your first purchase within 45 days of joining. We´ll donate an extra $5 to your favorite worthy cause!

To support a rescue in your area, check www.cavyrescue.com
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

SLA

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:23 pm

I totally agree with you. Teresa and all other rescues are doing wonderful work and deserve any support we can give them!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:38 pm

I think the best way to use igive is to sign up just before you know you are going to purchase something. I´m not sure, but there might be an extra dollar if someone refers you but I can´t for the life of me figure out how I would do that.

Being a conservative person, I am not really sure how this thing works -- you install a small amount of software. It says you can uninstall it. I don´t know if it will do popup ads while you are browsing the internet. But for people who do alot of online shopping, being able to donate a percentage of your purchases is a great idea and can do alot of good. I hope other people will give it a try.

I got my timothy pellet order in. Now all I have to do is get it.

ladyveg

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:26 am

I´m on iGive as well, and have gotten three cents from an eBay purchase.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:36 am

Ladyveg, you might want to add the link to the woman (I am guessing) who does the cavy cosies. And your link to igive.

lippy2589

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:08 pm

Rachel - - I purchased some stuff for Bandit and Banana on ferretstore.com through igive and it shows $5.70 raised for Baraboo Guinea Pig Rescue. Then again - - total it was $.70 and $5 was through bonuses. Every little bit helps - - looks like you have your hands full again.

ladyveg

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:25 pm

Thank you so much! Turns out the 3 cents I earned myself by winning an auction on a used pair of Gloria Vanderbilt shoes on eBay.

Here is my iGive page; I hope it works: iGive for Baraboo Guinea Pig Rescue

Diane has been sending me pretty regular checks from the guinea pig pouches that she sells. They are beautiful, and I can testify to her seamstress abilities and workmanship. Mine have lasted through weekly washings. Here is her website: Guinea Pig Cozies

Thanks.

Cordelia
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:39 pm

I just ordered 3 Cozies from Diane today. I am looking forward to receiving them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:51 pm

Her little pig who passed away looked like a doll. They do look like very nice cosies.

I agree with her warning about cedar shavings but do feel pine shavings get a bum rap. If they are allowed to air before use, the phenols (the only thing that could cause any problem) evaporate, which would lessen or prevent any real or imagined ill effects.
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lippy2589

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:01 am

Diane´s cozy´s are great. They are very well put together and adorable.  :) Only one of mine gets any use though - - for some reason they haven´t figured out there is more than one in their cage. They just both use the same one ;) Diane is also great to work with!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:35 pm

I wondered where those cosies were coming from. I´m going to check them out. I have a few pigs that won´t eat them up in lieu of hay!

I don´t mean to go off on a tangent here, but I agree with Lynx about the pine shavings. That and the fact that all pine shavings are NOT created equal. Various brands have different sizes of shavings and/or dust. Some are more absorbent. The worst are recycled-type pines which smell awful. I just tried another bag of a different variety. As soon as I opened the bag I was overwhelmed with the phenolic smell. I have left them open in the garage to air out for almost two weeks. The entire garage smells like pine in this heat and the shavings still smell awful. Don´t think I´ll be using them except for compost. The shavings I normally get are virtually dustless and don´t have a strong odor at all. I´m still experimenting with other beddings (esp. paper) alone or in combination on top of the pine. I still can´t get over the carcinogenic carbonized dust in paper bedding nor the smell. My hands are black with carefresh. Plus it looks dirty all the time to me. Oh, the plight of the cavy owner!

Teresa

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:44 pm

"carcinogenic carbonized dust in paper bedding?" That´s a new one on me. Have any links to more info on that?