Tales of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle

clairey

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:20 pm

It's him, it's him, it's him!

I secretly hoped it was. He's the fella that caught my eye. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Captain.

I hope Misty's recovery is speedy so she can come out and join him.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:50 am

He's adorable and they look excited to be see each other. Glad to read Misty is recovering well and can't wait for her to meet up with him and touch noses (or whatever they'll do when they meet).

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 pm

His name was Pierot?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am

That was one of the names he's had, yes. :o)

Misty gave me a scare (and herself) last night by getting stuck in the bars of her cage chewing to get out to her boyfriend.

She'd managed to hook her top teeth over a bar then shove her nose through the space above turning her head in the process and ended up wedged against an upright bar. All I heard was faint baby squeaks like a lost youngster and found her absolutely motionless with her nose wedged through the bars.

Luckily when Misty is panicked or scared she freezes. I checked where her teeth were, and managed to move her teeth and nose along a bit and turn them slightly to get her teeth unhooked and her nose pushed back and free her. Big sighs of relief all round!

It didn't stop her chewing the bars completely but she did it more on the plastic base instead. Thankfully she has a checkup at the vet tonight and may get the all clear to get more freedom.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am

Misty has now had her final vet post op check and everything is going really well and her hair is growing back around the wound site. So far it is slow to grow back where the stress patches are but her hair is so thick you don't notice them. She is now free to roam with her boyfriend and bosses him about at every opportunity. He takes it all in his stride with much excited squeaking at times. I did let them together early as the constant squeaking from Misty was getting to all of us plus she was getting VERY bored in her hospital cage and getting herself into trouble.

So now to formal introductions. New Pig has been named Marley. Maybe not very original but it seems to suit him with his laid back attitude and his little reggae reggae rumblestrutt song and dance routine he puts on for Misty. She is yet to be impressed. Less of a Ziggy Marley, more of a 'Piggy' Marley and since there is also a reggae band called Misty In Roots, the connection is complete. :o)

So there we have it, Mr & Mrs Marley and Misty in their piggy love nest. ;o)

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Aw! Well done, Misty :) and I love the name Marley - and the associated connections are really good too!

We always had names starting with an 'M' but I ran out of ideas! I didn't have a Misty or a Marley!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:53 am

I love Marley's new name. It does suit him very well. Glad they're getting along.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Mildred, I didn't go with initials for my names but after the original 2 piggies I did have a naming format that included 2 syllables and ended in an '-ie' sound. Therefore I had Sparky, Dusty, Chilli, Tiggy, Misty and now Marley. Believe me it's not any easier than trying to stick to the same initials and come up with something that suits them. :o)

Misty is now very much The Boss and the pair remind me of an old married couple. She nags him and he is forever justifying his actions and trying to sweet talk his way into bed beside her, while she has been kicking him out with monotonous regularity. But I think she is beginning to soften up and fall under the spell of this handsome charmer... He has been forsaking the security of his manly retreat in the cupboard for the companionship of a good woman. ;-)

I just wish their nightly discussions were a little quieter. It never gets really dark here at this time of year and the poor boy is not quite so used to seagulls who are clearly organising the daily sortees from my bedroom roof at 4 am. Marley has to join in, which brings complaints from Misty and occasionally myself when I feel it has gone on long enough. Then he decides it must be breakfast time since its now very light outside so he trots back and fore to the cage. I haven't been able to cross the piggy language barrier yet that breakfast is still 4 HOURS AWAY!

They have at least learned that when my radio alarm goes off and music starts plying that 'she' will get up soon and feed them so I often find them already in the cage waiting for breakfast by the time I've blearily stumbled out of bed after my early morning interruptions.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Your place sounds very interesting in the morning. You'll never have to worry about sleeping too late again! I'm glad they are getting along so well.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 am

The nightmare continues and truly the end of an era.

Sadly I've lost another piggy. Misty had been treated for a URI 3 weeks ago and got the all clear at the vets about 10 days ago. Sadly something came back with a vengeance on monday night when she was off her food and didn't have the usual loud shrieks at teatime. I still had a few doses of Baytril left so she got one of those and I called the vet first thing tuesday. I live close enough that she got an appointment first thing, was x-rayed and heart meds discussed as it was unsure from the x-ray if it was congested lungs or enlarged heart. She was started on meds while still at the vets and I took her home at lunchtime. The poor piggy had very heavy breathing and was not a good colour and with her having so much white it was easy to spot.

She put up a brave fight but the Fortekor, Frusemide, Baytril and ultimately Metacam didn't have any effect. At 5am this morning she lost her battle being petted in my lap. In a way I'm glad it wasn't long drawn out but was hoping for a better outcome. :o(

Luckily Marley will only be on his own for a week before going back to Thistle Cavies. He was only ever on loan and I'm heading over there next week for another visit. He will be back with his girlfriends as before. So sad as I was hoping to catch up and update Tiggy's Tales with lots of pics of the happy couple since I will be on holiday for the next 2 weeks.

Since I'm due to go into hospital in October and with recovery time I won't be getting any more piggies for the foreseeable future.

For the first time in 15 years I'll be pigless and petless! I'm truly gutted.

clairey

Post   » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 am

Oh Webs, I'm so sorry.

RIP, Misty.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 am

Oh Webs! I'm so so sorry. Hugs and tissues.