Pig Planet: The Adventures of Baozi and Ace

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 am

Wow! First of all, you're beautiful! love your hair! I love the photo of fat Ace and the pigs lounging in their colorful cage, brings a smile to anyone's face when they see that!!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:28 am

Aww, thanks serelixyue!

It's been hot on pig planet lately. Baozi likes to drape herself over the frozen water bottle--quite literally:

Whereas Ace just makes sure her bum stays cool:

To fill the long days, Baozi pig likes to immerse herself in her food

And practice her stealth skills:

Ace, meanwhile, has been doing some light reading

Modeling the latest in fall piggy fashion

And thinking of taking up knitting, but alas, her chubby paws can't hold the needles. So she'll settle for chewing on my knitting basket instead.

In slightly sadder news, Pig Planet hit a rough spot. Baozi pig's eye has been looking odd. More info in her medical thread, but the upshot is that I took her to the vet, and he was suspicious that she may have tooth problems. That caught me off-guard, because other than the eye, Baozi has been her usual energetic and curious self.

In retrospect, I have noticed more green staining on her chin, which the vet feared might be from drooling. However, she hasn't had any trouble eating or chewing (she certainly hasn't stopped chewing the heck out of the cardboard box I put in the cage). I did notice some minor weight loss, but Ace lost a bit of weight, too, so I wasn't sure if it was significant. Their weight chart is in her medical thread.

Baozi goes to the vet for x-rays tomorrow, so please keep her in your thoughts/send healing vibes!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

What a wonderful bunch of photos! I hope all goes well for Baozi. Healing vibes here!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 am

Fingers crossed!

Breadfan4

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Love to Baozi!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. Unfortunately, Baozi has some pretty serious teeth issues. The vet did not seem optimistic. There is more detailed info + x-rays in the medical thread. Basically, she had root elongation and pain in her chin, and partial tongue entrapment. The vet filed her teeth and sent her home with critical care, metacam, and one more medication I'm blanking on the name of. I saw her trying to eat lettuce earlier but even after i broke it in tiny pieces she had trouble. So I hand-fed her critical care. She really did not seem to like it so I had to use the technique for difficult piggies on the hand feeding page. Then she sat on my lap for a while and got cuddles and gave me piggy kisses.

I have her in a hospital cage that is separate from Ace's cage. Poor Ace is so confused, wondering where Baozi went. Baozi kept chewing the bars on the side of the hospital cage so I covered them with cardboard. Sometimes she chews the cardboard, but I let it go since at least it's not the cage bars? Is this bad for her?

She made a few poops in the hospital cage and they look normal. She's also drinking water from the bottle. She's just still having some difficulty with solid foods. I only put softer foods in there--tiny bits of lettuce, watermelon, grapes, and peaches. Ace gobbled her share up like a lawn mower pig but Baozi is having some trouble.

I was planning on putting her back with Ace tomorrow, provided her poops still look normal. I have to say I never thought I would be paying such close attention to poop. I will keep hand feeding the critical care and hopefully she will be more cooperative as she gets better.

I was hoping I would have more time with them before dealing with something like this, but I guess you can never predict these things. I'm very glad I have this site, which was so helpful for me through it all. I'm reading all the malocclusion threads and trying to figure out what I will do for her in the long term.

Please keep sending the healing vibes to my Sweetie girl :(

(This is an old picture during better days)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am

I'm sorry about her teeth. She might be able to eat better if you cut her food in matchstick-sized slivers rather than in chunks. I believe that's what MildredM does (did?) for Fairy.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 am

I'm sorry your girl is having these problems. I hope things can sort themselves out.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 am

How is she now? Are the positive thoughts working?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 am

Oh dear, I missed this. Fingers crossed.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks everyone for keeping little Baozi in your thoughts. I posted a brief update in her medical thread. She had a very rough past week, and for a while I thought it was the end of the line for her. But today, she is looking a little better and actually ate some cucumber!

I'm hoping that she will continue to improve. Fingers crossed.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 am

I have been posting updates on Baozi in her medical thread: viewtopic.php?t=68428

I have been caring for her, but I feel so sad and stressed lately. I wonder if little Ace notices and misses the days when Baozi was her playmate and partner in crime. I feel very sad when I hear munching and it's only Ace in the hay bin. When she was healthy, Baozi used to sprint across the cage the second I refreshed the hay and stick her little face in there before I was done, and then she'd get hay stuck to her head. Baozi is so out of it most of the time, she stays curled up under their hidey when I am not feeding/watering her. Ace seems to like sleeping next to her, and I hope it gives Baozi comfort.

When I took Baozi to the vet the other day, my Mom said Ace wandered around the cage looking confused. My Mom wondered if Ace thought we were taking away Baozi forever and tried to reassure her.

I try to pet Ace and give her laptime/playtime so she doesn't feel neglected. But she seems so lonely wandering around the bed without little Baozi to keep her company.

The house feels sadder, more somber, and certainly quieter without healthy Baozi's lively, squeaky presence.

I still hold out hope that she will come back from this and be her little diva self again, and maybe can live comfortably if we treat her elongated roots (tooth filing and/or the chin sling). But she's so weak now. And it's so hard to stay optimistic sometimes.

Please send healing thoughts to my sweetie girl.

I know this was a gloomy post, so here are some gratuitous cute pictures:

Fat Ace enjoying some treats during her solo laptime

Little Baozi enjoys cuddles after her critical care feeding

The piggers catching a nap