A New Beginning for Chico, Jack, and Spotty

jeapa

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:05 pm

I would like to introduce Chico, Jack, and Spotty.

They had a bit of a rough start as their previous owners purchased them for their 3 children about 6 weeks ago from the local Petsmart. It only took them about a month before they decided that 3 guinea pigs were more work then they bargained for and they decided to rehome them.

I think it was fate that had me driving by a yard sale, and I caught sight of the cage with a sign that said free to good home cage included. I pulled over and once I saw them I knew they had to come home with me. This is the cage that they were living in when I got them.

I knew nothing about guinea pigs, but common sense told me they needed a much bigger cage. I found the C & C cages website and ordered them a 30" x 5', that still seems a little small to me. I will be adding on soon.

These three lovely boys have been with me for 2 weeks today and are starting to allow more handling everyday. They all seem to get along very well. I set their cage up in my grandchildren's room and they love having room mates when they come to visit me on weekends.

Isaiah is becoming quite attached to Chico:

I let my grandchildren rename these guys and I think they did a pretty good job. I will end for now with a few random shots I got today:

Spotty:

Jack and Chico:

jeapa

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:09 pm

I weighed the boys today:

Chico- 487 g
Jack- 486 g
Spotty- 440 g

So it seems they must be quite young still. I also worry that they may have lost some weight prior to me bringing them home. I am going to go ahead and try to get them a vet appt. this coming week as I will feel better knowing for sure that they are healthy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:41 pm

They're adorable!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Your guinea pigs are very cute! (and so is Isaiah!)

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Congrats on your pigs who are adorable. They must be so much happier in the larger cage.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm

They are gorgeous. I especially love Spotty's coloring!!

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Your pigs are so cute, and Isaiah will be a heartbreaker someday!

So glad you rescued them.

jeapa

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone. Isaiah is a great kid, we sure love him.

I am really enjoying my little piggies!!! I have some more photos to post. They are doing great!!

jeapa

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Who would have thought that these cute little piggies could learn so fast to enjoy their veggies?

Hey mom I think our bowl is empty:

Come quick guys the veggies have arrived:

I found a green pepper!!

Let me in get inside the dish so I can get my share before you two eat it all.

Full bellies equals, Three happy pigs in a fleece

jeapa

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I haven't told my dh that we now own 3 guinea pigs. He is currently on deployment in Afghanistan and he won't be home until sometime early next year. I am sure he won't mind as after 30 years of living with me he is used to my menagerie of critters.

My dh is from Peru and when he was growing up guinea pigs were often on the menu. He told me he never really liked the taste, but he had little choice and had to eat what he was served. His family raised rabbits, guinea pigs, and chickens on the roof of their house. He was the youngest son of three boys and he said he always avoided the slaughter days and promised himself that when he was grown up he would not have to raise his dinner on the roof.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 am

Lovely pigs and gorgeous boy! Thanks for sharing!