Supporting Our Rescuers

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:51 pm

Sorry, info from a Chemistry Prof. The carbon is definitely a problem when inhaled (like all aerosolized particles of foreign matter). The problem is, who would sponsor such a study? It´s common knowledge that aspartame and other artificial sweetners turn into toxic compounds when combined with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The problem is, what is the effect of long-term allowable doses of a toxic material?

I´ll see what I can find this morning. I wish I had the email of that guy.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:03 pm

Last edited by Josephine on Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:25 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... &DB=PubMed

These are some more finds, but I am not going to list them individually.

There is no doubt that the carbon dust is created during the sterilization process when heating the paper bedding. Of course, humans and rats aren´t always consistent with their reactions to drugs, environmental reactions are generally similar. Humans, luckily seem less sensitive due to being able to move away from places/things we have adverse reactions to... One of the DVMs I work with is quite allergic to many things including chlorine (bleach), many phenolic disinfectants (not good since vets rely on them), and animal beddings (including anything with dust). Newspaper beddings are fairly neutral, but she reacts to them also. I´m assuming the dust is the problem, since plain newspaper is fine.

I have come to the conclusion that certain cloths (towels, polarfleece, fake lambswool, etc.) are the least reactive to small animals and humans. Those with free-range pigs are probably doing the best job limiting hazardous exposure (unless they use certain disinfectants/cleaners in their home). Unfortunately, this is much more time and effort consuming than other prepared beddings. Mine are not bedded on fabric unless they are ill (or have asthma). I have to admit there is a time and effort compromise there in my home.
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:19 pm

I think one can combine towels and bedding pretty well. My pigs´ hangout area is towels, changed once daily -- I have lots of towels, shake them out and air dry them for a single reuse. The bathrooms have pine shavings covered with soft hay, also changed daily (new hay, wet parts of bathrooms removed). A few other towels in the living area are shaken out and washed when needed.

They seem pretty happy. Unless I´m not quick enough with the vegetables.

tina_3869

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:47 pm

Lynx, I signed up for igive.com and put Teresa as my rescue but when I try to make a purchse I get the following message:
___________________________________--
It´s not you, it´s your browser! To avoid shopping problems, Internet Explorer 6.0 cookie security settings must be set to enable third-party cookies.

To enable third-party cookies:
1- Go to Tools | Internet Options
2- Click the Privacy tab
3- Click on Advanced
4- Be sure "Override automatic cookie handling" is checked
5- Under First-party Cookies, click accept
6- Under Third-party Cookies, click accept
7- Be sure "Always allow session cookies" is checked
8- Click Ok to save your changes

I do exactly what they say and I get the same thing, I have even tried to restart my browser AND reboot my machine....get the same error script. Any ideas? I´m thinking delete the program and try to reinstall but can´t find the program listed (to be honest I didn´t really do a through search though)

Please help, I have a lot of shopping to do and I am supposed to be shopping through My DH´s site so that we get the kick back, my DH is gonna kill me when he finds out <LOL>

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:31 pm

I just upgraded to 6.0 yesterday (I had a site that required 128 bit encryption). At the moment I can´t help you. Be busy for 3 hours or so and will take a look. Hopefully someone can give you a hand. Damn frustrating when you want to help out.

The browser I was using also had a low security setting. You might want to try that and change a few other things to see if something else will work.

tina_3869

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:46 pm

I´d ask my DH for help but if he finds out I´m handing over profitst that could be going to ur website he would be none to happy...althought I think we only deal with amazon so he might be ok with it as long as I told him I would only use it to shop at other stores. In the mean time I will try to reinstall.

Did you upgrade to IE 6.0 becuase I´ve had that vs for a long time, so did you mean you upgraded the igive vs?

Damn it my whole computer is flipping out now. I keep hearing this clicking noise and my mouse just apears and disapears at will.

bats

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:14 pm

Damn it my whole computer is flipping out now. I keep hearing this clicking noise and my mouse just apears and disapears at will.

Pinta´s hex.
Watch out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:23 pm

Upgraded IE 6.0 for security settings. Used to have 5.0. Can´t find any useful info. Don´t really know what to tell you (Bats, don´t you have answers?).

bats

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:22 am

Not a clue. The instructions given in the error message should work.

The only other place I can think to try the Security Settings tab in IE Tools/Internet Options:

- First check all of the enable scripting options... and try again.

- If that doesn´t work, try choosing the "prompt" option for the ActiveX controls... and try again. If Paypal never prompts you, it isn´t using ActiveX and you can restore the previous values.

tina_3869

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:42 pm

Well I set my security to "accept all" and I´m not getting the message today...it must have been user error, as much as I hate to admit it. When I followed the instructions they gave me I was no longer able to get ´new messages only´ on Guinea Lynx...that was weird. Anyway all´s well today

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:20 pm

The gp´s are too coute!!