Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:15 am

I can't advise on the pain relief as I don't know what dose has been given.

https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

If you look at that page, it says Carprofen - 4mg per kg every 24 hours. I hope that helps.

And yes, if he's losing weight you should be handfeeding. https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 pm

I was told by NoCabbleisSafe to give Metcam twice a day and to give 0.2 ml. I had asked if I can use the same dosage and frequency for Carprofen also.
The full tablet was 50 mg and I gave half, that is 25 mg dissolved in water and gave 0.2 ml of that solution.

Can some one please help with the dosage and frequency of the pain killer?

Also can I give the pain killer directly or maybe mix it with a plurry of vegetables because the baby food here contains lactose?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:41 pm

For the poop soup, is there any specific quantity to give or the more the better? Can I mix the poop soup with a vegetable mash and syringe feed him?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:51 am

I dint give Cupid the pain killer last night but now I will give since he has completed 24 hours.
According to what Jessie said, I calculated the dosage of the pain killer. It will be less than a pinch of the whole tablet. Please correct me if I am wrong. Can you please tell me if I can syringe feed this dosage directly in his mouth?

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 am

We have already told you to not give baby food but instead to hand feed a mash of the pellets that he eats. What are you feeding him?

You can give the poop soup however you want. On its own, mashed with vegetables. You dose most pain relief by the mouth. It doesn't matter if you give it just in water or in a puree.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 am

NoCableisSafe- Thank you so much for replying. The problem in India is we don't get good quality pellets and hay. All the pellets contain seeds and are more like a treat. Timothy hay is very difficult to find. Alfalfa hay is available but they are either molded or dirty and since my piggies are above three years, I don't give them alfalfa hay.
I give vegetables and wheat grass, concentrating more on the vegetables.

Cupid had done his surgery three days back and I started with his pain killer the next day, so today was his second day of pain killer.
For how many days should I give him antibiotics, pain killer and probiotics?

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:18 am

Do you have access to meadow hay? I am concerned that your pigs may not be getting enough fiber which is what we really push to feed pigs when they become unwell. This is why Jessie and I keep describing the pellet/museli mash to you instead of just a vegetable puree.

In the diet you're describing of only grass and vegetables you'd want to focus more on grass than vegetables. No pellet diets focus heavily on 24 hour access to hay with lots of vegetables added. I understand you're struggling a bit more over there, I'm just trying to help you understand why I keep nagging at you.

For surgery I only give pain relief for three days post op UNLESS the pig shows signs of still being in pain after the operation. I would only give Cupid one more dose of pain relief and then observe him.

Probiotic is given for as long as you are giving antibiotics and if he has runny poops you can continue this until his poops are back to normal.

Antibiotic depends on why you're using it. Normally for an abscess I've been advised by my vet to give the antibiotic until the wound has closed over (7 days, normally, because for the huge abscesses I've dealt with we keep the wound open until all puss has gone but it doesn't sound like you're having issues with the wound). Longer for an actual infection. 3 days if it's just preventative and everything is going well.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 pm

I've had a quick minute to glance at the last few pages of the thread, and hopefully I can give a few tips on the hay.

Here is a supplier in Mumbai:
http://trade.indiamart.com/details.mp?offer=1235230562

Try to to find a place that breeds guinea pigs for veterinary colleges and the like... they will have pellets and hay available. This needs to be done ASAP.

If there is a horse stable near you, you can perhaps find some hay or compressed hay pellets.

High end pet supply stores (there are lots on Mumbai) have started carrying small bags of imported hay. They may be a bit pricey, but will make a huge difference in the healing process.

Google is your friend!

piggycosy

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 am

-edit- Nevermind, you've finished giving him Carprofen. My bad for not reading properly.

All the best with Cupid.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:28 pm

NoCableisSafe- Thank you so much for the detailed information. I can completely understand that all of you want me to give the best to my piggies and I am trying my level best. The problem is that I have to give the best from whatever limited is available in India :(

I will have to find out what is meadow hay called here and if it is available. I had contacted the supplier Pimpinpuji provided and he will get back to me if he can deliver to my home.

I am still giving antibiotics to Cupid inspite of being 9th day of his surgery today because the wound hasn't healed and there is a little swelling. The wound is kept open and I flush it with Betadine solution twice a day.
Should I continue giving him antibiotics?

Took him to the vet today and when he pressed the surrounding area of the wound, Cupid cried with pain but the vet said not to worry as long as the wound is healing.
Should I be concerned?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Pimpinpuji- I had gone to the veterinary college but the lab attendant dint know about the breeder, so I will have to wait till the head of the department comes back from his vacation.

piggycosy- Thanks :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:19 pm

We can't see the wound so I really have no idea if there is improvement. I would watch for signs of infection (tenderness, warm to touch, discharge, bad smell).