Critical Care Probs, and bloating

christina

Post   » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:35 pm

Simethicone is great stuff for gas, though I have never heard any of my piggies fart!! Smelled it before though.......

I always keep it on hand. I'm sure some liquid will be much easier on him than the needles. I hope he is feeling much better very soon!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:37 pm

Another good food to try ThatKat is watermelon. Rosie goes nuts over it. That, and cucumber. They both have a high water content so it helps to rehydrate the pig, and I believe watermelon has a lot of C in it, too.

We give extra C and a small amount of B complex in Rosie's critical care (the same B complex that's in the subcues) and it helps to increase his appetite.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:44 am

No, watermellon does not have lots of C in it. It certainly does have lots of water in it though (and some simple sugars).

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:49 am

I thought it had lots of C. I am trying to remember where I heard that - I think Xan told me. Shows what boys know. Hah!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:08 am

Here's an ordered list of vitamin C in vegs. You can print it out (I think).

https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#order-c

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:45 am

This might be a really stupid question, Lynx.. But whenever I try to print anything from this site, it always cuts off the right-hand margin. I can't seem to figure out why. I've tried printing it out to a PDF and then reducing the PDF, too.. And it still doesn't work. For example, the Meds page is something I print out whenever I go to a new vet. And it always cuts off the right hand part of the sheet, no matter what size paper I print on or how much I tell it to reduce. Is this a "duh" question? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:26 pm

Use the menu for "page set up". Maybe there is something in there that indicates you are sizing things wrong.

ThatKat

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:04 pm

Ok... Alfie has had 2 doses (.15 each) of the Simethicone 3 hours apart. The latest was about 15 minutes ago. Still no farting, though, and no pooping either. Doc looked at him today and said "He doesn't look good." But of course, this is a different doctor than the one that saw him at first. The one that saw him first noticed his eyes looked better. But still, whenever he's sitting down he's hunched up and his eyes are half closed. THey aren't running anymore, though, and his nose isn't crusy anymore.

The second Dr. that saw him said to discontinue the Sulfatrim - he's afraid it could be causing the bloat or something.

I gave Alfie veggies this morning and he actually got excited and started gobbling them. But he keeps falling asleep while he's eating! And he didn't eat all his veggies, and only ate a little bit of hay. And he still won't touch his pellets. So guess that means more Critical Care....

pinta

Post   » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:12 pm

It could be his heart. Falling asleep while eating indicates exhaustion. If he can't breathe and eat at the same time the effort spent doing either will be exhausting. If it were my pig I would ask for xrays of the chest area and if there is fluid present give a high dose of Lasix. I would also consider Enacard if there is improvement with Lasix.

Oxygen could also help.

Heart pigs swallow a lot of air while trying to breathe.

Heart problem and URI symptoms are very similar.

SandraVE

Post   » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:18 am

I mix the critical care 2 parts water to 1 part Critical Care also. Stir it up real well before filling the syringes. I personally like to use a 3cc syringe with the tip cut off flush, however other people think it's too big. I just backfill the syringes using a larger 35cc syringe (with the tip still intact) that I fill up with all the mash I make. It works great. If you hold the large syringe against the 3cc syringe, you won't get any air bubbles in the 3cc syringe either. This method of filling would work using the 1cc syringes also.

I like the mash to be like a toothpast consistency. If it's too watery, they don't get enough chewing action.

ThatKat

Post   » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:02 pm

Ok..... update. Doc went to VIN last night and got some info. Here is what he read there:

Reglan does not help with bloat. Some gp's may be helped with Propulsid.

Tap abdomen only if life-threatening.

Simethicone is of no help with bloat.

Most cases are due to dietary indiscretion.

Check for clostridiosis - some need flagyl.

Give hay primarily until bloat resolves.

Some do have underlying disorders that require investigation to resolve.

Some respond to stomach tube placement through the nasal cavity to allow air to dissipate.

So. We did another fecal. There was no clostridia but lots of other strange bacteria. So Alfie is now on Flagyl.

Still no farting, still no poop. (Doc had to stick the Q tip amazingly far into the rectum to get a sample).

Alfie is still munching on grass and hay every now and then. Still not interested in pellets. Will eat some lettuce though. I will continue the SubQ fluids and force feeding Critical Care.

But now I don't know whether to continue the Reglan and Simethecone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:52 pm

I wonder if the info he found was in regards to guinea pig treatment specifically, or had to do with other species.