trembling newborns

Bethpc

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi, Yesterday my guinea pig gave birth to 2 babies. They were very weak and could not stand up. It has now been 24 hours and they are a very tiny bit stronger but are very shakey almost like like they have uncontrollable tremors. They are beginning to use their limbs which yesterday they couldn't seem to use them. They did seem to be very cramped looking when they were born almost like you could see how they were laying in the womb. Has anyone else experienced this and will the tremors get better?

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm

When they are born they can look like little frogs.

Little guinea pigs can become very cold very quickly. Have you kept the room they are in warm, when Meribel gave birth I constantly had the heating on in the room the were in?

Can you offer them a hot water bottle or snuggle-safe wrapped in a towel or fleece to keep them warm/drape a towel or blanket over one side of their cage, offer them a deep bed of hay to hide and stay warm in? Mum won't stay by them all the time to keep them cosy so it's very, very important you keep them from catching a chill.

How is mum with the babies, has she been feeding them (have you seen them suckling?)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Big ditto on the vital importance of warmth. See also www.guinealynx.info/.html#pups

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm

I wonder if they also have some sort of dietary deficiency... if the warmth isn't the factor.

Bethpc

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:12 pm

HI, I live in tropical qld Australia. So yes it's warm but we are in qir conditioning which just keeps it plesent, so they are not hot or cold. Mum is laying with them and cleaning them but not feeding. I think they are just to weak to get to her. I have been sup feeding them and they havent lost any weight yet. This morning they are stonger in their limbs but the shaking is uncontrollable the more they try and move. If you hold them in your hands and keep them still the shaking stops but as soon as they move a limb they shake like tremors. I've never seen anything like it. Mum is only little in size and I could tell they were very cramped inside her. I'm hoping that they just need time to to start to use their limbs that were constricted inside her.

Bethpc

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Are they to young to give vitamin c?

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:16 am

Maybe even some gentle massage to encourage blood flow to their muscles?