Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:54 pm

I wrote another knowledgeable poster and asked her to look at this thread. She was unable to post here but felt I was correct that it does not look right.

Is there any way your vet could consult with another vet? Your excellent photos could be sent to that vet, along with a synopsis of what was done when. Could you gently suggest that there is still matter that needs to be removed?

If you are not seeing this heal up, this means it was not treated correctly.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:15 am

Ditto Lynx on all counts.

Keep it clean (weak Betadine solution is fine). IMO only you need another vet (and I know how difficult that is for you).

If I had to guess (and this is a guess only, I am NOT a vet, nor tech, nor veterinary professional in any way), the vet cleaned it out and cleaned it up, and expects it to heal the way something similar would on a dog.

Here's the problem: cysts, abscesses and the like on guinea pigs (and I suspect other prey herbivores) do not form or heal the way they do on carnivores. The cyst (if that's what it is) will have permanent walls of tissue (for lack of a better word) that will continue to produce exudate. "Cheesy pus" indicates infection; this usually has a bad odor. Epithelial (skin-type) goo generally does not have an odor, but it can be every bit as thick and cheesy.

The entire cyst or abscess needs to be surgically removed -- walls included, that's the important part -- to keep it from reforming and regrowing, and refilling. That's why we're all urging you to get it surgically removed if you can do so competently and safely.

Any surgery is risky with a guinea pig, but non-invasive surgeries such as this, that do not invade the body cavity, are generally less so than surgeries that do involve the body cavity.

Don't be afraid to medicate and handfeed him. The spot may ooze; clean it gently but don't not handfeed him for fear of hurting him. Be gentle and careful, but that spot does not cause him as much pain as something that looks like that would on us. He needs the food, meds and probiotic.

Mumbai is a major, major city. There has to be someone there that can competently take care of him. Your challenge will be to find them, and again, I know that will not be an easy task. As Lynx mentions, perhaps someone who is willing to try, with support, consultation and guidance, may be your best bet.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 am

I won't respond on the issue of the cyst itself as there are far more qualified people here than I. However, Mumbai and all of India for that matter is a major home for international pharmaceutical companies with major R&D facilities in Mumbai. I would try to contact some of the R&D people to see if they can't recomend someone. A lot of these companies have community outreach people employed who you might be able to contact first and expalin your problem finding a vet.

I know it will be challenging to get someone on the phone and then to talk to you but I would try. You may have to make a lot of phone calls, get a lot of rejections but eventually I think you could find someone willing to give you a name of a competent vet

This looks painful for your pig and I wish you good luck getting him treated.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I have started cleaning Cupid with the diluted Betadine solution again.

I was in the same room when the vet was working on Cupid and there was no bad odour (I had covered my eyes as I couldn't see Cupid in pain). But the vet did say the puss was very thick and white and he had removed the dead tissues also. I am assuming it was the Epithelial goo.

I have been to more than ten vets with my guinea pigs and have spoken to seventy odd vets. In fact, the vet who did Cupid's surgery was recommended to me by a vet of an Institute of Research of Medicines on guinea pigs. He is the Head of the research department. The best of the vets here will say they have worked on guinea pigs and know everything but when you go there, the scenario is the complete opposite. I guess I will have to double my research time in finding a good vet for my piggies and I will definitely do it for them.

I will wait for few more days for the wound to heal more and till that time, hopefully I must have found another good vet. Cupid will also be relaxed by then and he will be ready for another surgery also.

Cupid is eating as much as my other guinea pigs. He is pooping also normally. Should I still give him antibiotics and probiotics?

GPIG, Thank you. You have given another direction to my search for a competent vet for my piggies. I know a few people in the pharmaceutical sector. Perhaps, I could start with them.

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:04 am

Here are my thoughts:

If I am seeing the pictures correctly, the wound appears to be healing. However, there are a few things you need to do to ensure that is the case:

Feel the wound with the back of your hand, and compare it to the surrounding area. Be sure to feel under the hair. Be sure to wash your hands before and after handling Cupid!
Does that area feel warmer? If so, it may indicate infection.

Light press around the wound, and check for discharge. If there is discharge, what color is it? Anything besides clear fluid is no good. Blood may be alright, provided it is pure blood with nothing else mixed it.

When you clean with betadine, what is Cupid's reaction like? Does he cry?

I would start using topical neosporin. Neomycin is harmful if ingested, but can work wonders when used topically, because their skin responds to it well. Neosporin will also decrease any itching associated with the healing. Some members are comfortable using it sparingly, some do not use it at all. The choice is yours. I have had good experience with it, but always keep an eye to make sure it is not licked off.

ETA: Could you please explain the first picture?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Neomycin must be applied very very thinly to decrease the possibility of licking it off.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 am

Thank you Pimpinpuji and Lynx for the help.

According to me, Cupid's wound area is a little warmer than the surrounding area but my friend feels it is not. Cupid shows no other skins of infection (discharge, foul smell) and the wound is also healing.
Should I be concerned? What should I do for the infection? (I don't want to take any risk)

The first picture was before the surgery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 am

If it is actually healing, that is wonderful.

What you would do is continue to keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection.

You are welcome to send me more picture updates through email if you wish to and I can post them here.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 am

I had taken all my piggies to a vet today because all of them had few issues. There are no exotic animals vets here (India) but few people had recommended this vet, so I gave it a try.

Cupid- His abscess healed nicely but the hair and the skin never grew back in that area but the opening has shut. He has been eating, pooping and acting normally.
The vet has prescribed Pendistin ointment to be applied to that area twice a day. He said that this ointment is safe even if ingested.
1. Can I use this ointment on him?

Prince- He has been scratching a lot since two days and today I saw a bald patch on his leg. He is experiencing hair loss with dandruff/dead skin flakes at the end. I also noticed something brown on his skin at the start of the hair, he doesn't allow to touch probably and has been restless since yesterday. He is eating less since morning and mostly resting.
The vet said that it is fungal infection and told me to use a damp cloth dipped in betadine solution and to wipe Prince with it all over his body backward and forward. He ruled out the option of mites and said that guinea pigs should never be treated with ivermectin since it is not safe (Problem of finding an exotics vet in India)
2. Is the vet correct with Prince's diagnosis?

Sandy- He is having a problem with chewing and hasnt eaten much since last night. He ate a little on his own right now. He makes weird mouth movements and uses his paw a lot as if trying to clean his mouth.
The vet said not to worry about the mouth as long as he is eating. He also said that he has worms in his stomach and that is why his coat looks rough and dull. He has prescribed Mutrolin-B three drops twice a day for three days and then after a gap of two days he told me to give Albendazole.
3. Is the vet correct with Sandy's diagnosis?
4. Can I give Sandy the medications and the dosage prescribed?

I would be highly grateful to any kind of help and suggestions.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am

I was unable to find out what the active ingredients are in Pendistin. Are they listed on the tube? Could you post them here?

Mites and fungus are both quite common. And your guinea pig could have both.

www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Kimera

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 am

Pendistrin SH Cream is an ointment used in treatment of mastitis. Its ingredients are dangerous for guinea pigs if swallowed, beacuse one of them is penicillin!

Composition
Each tube contains :
Procaine Penicillin G : 1,00,000 units
Streptomycin sulphate I.P.: 100 mg
Sulphamerazine B.P.(Vet) : 500 mg
Hydrocortisone : 20 mg

Fungal infections in guinea pigs can be treated with the same creams people use, for example Clotrimazolum. Washing guinea pigs accessories in water with vinegar also helps. Acidic environment inhibits fungus growth. Don't forget to wash your own hands, because humans can get fungal infections from animals.
Ivermectin is actually dangerous only for certain types of dogs, but can be safely used for cattle and horses. While it is not listed as a medication recommended for guinea pigs, in proper doses it is safe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 am

Streptomycin is also in the penicillin family and dangerous. Thanks for tracking down this info, Kimera (I couldn't find it online).