My adventures in fostering

clairey

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Rolo's story is heartbreaking. :( A life lost simply because they didn't keep the paperwork updated.

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Oh Ibe.....that is so sad for both you and for Rolo. I don't understand how this can happen, especially with someone caring, like you making visits and being so involved. It should be a crime!

On the bright side, atleast you saved the two girls. I have a boy(Hershey) who looks exactly like the brown girl.

Thank you for being so loving to all the fur piggies you come across!!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:27 am

It was very sad to read about the tragedy of Rolo but you are doing a wonderful thing by fostering. The white abby does look like mine - she's also a sweetheart but very timid.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:05 am

Spartacus stands!! He's getting stronger and stronger and now he can stand up to see the girls!!

image by ibepatience, on Flickr

Here's a quick video of him in action

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 am

Here are our goodbye photos of Kramer. He was the hardest to let go. It really helped that he, and Jennerh, went to such an awesome family.

Here's me right before he left with his new family

Here's my daughters collage of Kramer. She loved him so much. She called him her best friend.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 am

*Kenneth not Jennerh - stupid iPad spell check :-)

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. So sad about Rolo though!

How do you use the coconut oil?

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 am

I was told the coconut oil would soothe his dry itchy skin. I haven't personally cared for a pig with such severe mites but I was told ivermectin, Vetricin for his wounds and coconut oil for they bald spots.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:28 am

Thanks. I'm fighting lice and perhaps mites on my fosters. The ivermectin is helping, but they are still scratching. They have no wounds, but have tiny bald spots. I'll try some coconut oil on those spots.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 am

I heard from someone (can't remember who) that the scratching is as much caused by the dry skin as the mites themselves. The ivermectin kills the mites pretty quick but the after affects are still there.

I'm not real familiar with mites though so don't quote me :-)

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:35 am

My memory is that when the mites die, they cause a reaction with more itching! But it has been a while for me as well! What I do remember is that it took several treatments to really get rid of the mites. Eggs hatch, etc, and you need to do the full treatment over time to beat them back.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:57 am

Yes, I was told 2-3 treatments a week apart to kill the mites that just hatched. I think the ivermectin doesn't kill eggs so you have to treat a few times to get everything.