Pig Planet: The Adventures of Baozi and Ace

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 am

Ace is gorgeous!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:08 am

I'm upset tonight because Ace fell off my chair :(

I had her in my lap and she started chewing the puppy pad and got my leg. I was startled so I jumped, and the puppy pad slid off my lap onto the hardwood floor. She didn't fall far, and she landed on her belly, but I immediately put her on the bed and checked for injuries. The whole time, she showed no sign of being in pain and only seemed confused. She waddled around a bit on the bed and ate some hay and cilantro (I kept her there for a while to observe her). I've been observing her closely all night and so far she hasn't behaved any differently than usual. She's waddling about the cage, jumping in and out of the hay bin and nomming all her treats. But I'm still worried and feel really bad. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow.

As for my leg, the bite didn't break the skin. There's a bruise there now but luckily that's all.

Poor little Ace pig :(

I'm just feeling really sad lately about her. She has lost so much weight (now, she seems to be holding steady at roughly 900g). But she seems so skinny compared to her former chubby 1000g+ self. I might try giving her some critical care to put some weight on. I wondered if maybe having a friend might help her get more exercise? She does trot and waddle around the cage a bit but she doesn't do laps anymore or be playful like she was with Baozi. She gets to curl up and nap next to me when I take her out to watch TV, and she seems to enjoy being cuddled and petted, but I can't help but feel I'm no substitute for a piggy companion.

You guys already know why getting a friend is an extremely problematic endeavor right now and that's why I've been procrastinating :/

Anyway, I hope everyone who celebrates it had a happy thanksgiving! Ace had a delicious thanksgiving meal of lettuce, cilantro, and carrot. She has a healthy appetite and gobbled up half of it before we even left the house, lol (we were going to eat at my brother's house). I am thankful that my two guinea pigs came into my life, though I wish Baozi had stayed around longer. She was such a special girl and left a permanent impression despite being with me for only nine months. I still miss her all the time.

Ace pig is a sweet little cuddler and always amusing. Here, she has been watching me work out and decided to fashion an exercise ball of her own:

But ultimately, she decided she'd rather be my lazy little TV buddy:

I just hope she's OK.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 am

I hope so too.

In my experience, biting is sometimes a sign of being in pain.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:16 am

I don't think she bit me intentionally, though. She was chewing on the puppy pad as she often does and it was on my lap, so I think she accidentally nipped my leg. She and Baozi used to chew on the towel or puppy pad when they wanted to go back to the cage so she might have just wanted to go back to the cage.

Hopefully there will be an exotic vet in at our usual clinic this weekend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:58 am

Ah, yes, it doesn't sound intentional.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Try not to beat yourself up about it. You didn't do anything intentional, and I'm sure most of us on here have done something by accident, and regret it. And it's really surprising when they do nip, my Anselmo nipped my tummy a few weeks ago. He's never done it before and I jumped.

Ace might not be running around as much because of her poorly legs. As they get older they do lose muscle tone, and tend to run around a lot less. I think my Anselmo is probably around 4.5 years old. He's still a chubby pig, but he definitely runs alot less, and when he does run it's more of a jog. Even with his young "brother" running around he tends to prefer to stay in his bed.

You're obviously doing all of the right things by weighing her regularly and making sure she's eating enough.

I was shocked at first to notice the difference in body shape of a young pig to an older one. They seem to be a lot less solid, and their rear ends tend to thin out quite a lot. That's why I think Anselmo is probably around 4.5. He still weighs the same as he did but he doesn't feel as solid anymore, he's not like a chubby brick shape.

Hope the vet visit goes okay!! :-)

pigwidgeon

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks for your comments, guys! In all this time, Ace hasn't shown any behavior out of the ordinary and seems to be her usual self. I'm very relieved, although I will call my vet and talk to her when she's in.

I did not fare so well, lol. I had to get a tetanus shot. But I'm OK about needles, so it was no big deal.

Christmas is coming and I've got some treats for little Ace!

Some holiday-print fleece, treats, and a little toy for her.

Poor Ace. Her bum gets dirty so fast and I can barely keep up. She gets bum baths once every couple of weeks and I try to wipe her up with a damp washcloth but I can never get her entirely clean. She's still a sweet little piggy though, always so well behaved when I clean her and give her meds, and eager for the treat she gets when I do so.

Here she is enjoying said treats:

Showing off that saxxy leg

Curled up in the little corner against me and against the pillow. She loves to nap there while I'm on the computer.

I still feel very frustrated being unable to get a new friend for Ace (well, I am able, I'm just procrastinating b/c I dread dealing with my family, who are putting up so much resistance). Even if I found a new job, it would take a while to find an apartment and get myself set up in a new place (I don't have a car, and that would be a problem too). It all seems very hopeless. I was going to get the pig anyway and let my fam deal until I am able to move out, but I'd have to quarantine in the same room, and given how tiny my room is, this would be difficult.

A new pig would never replace Baozi, but I feel that as a human I'm just not the same thing for Ace as another piggy. And frankly, I miss having two little piggies and watching them interact. I still miss Baozi very much and don't think I'll ever stop, but I also think that since I have the capacity, both emotional and physical, to provide a happy home for a homeless pig that might get pts (our humane society is a kill shelter), it's the right thing to do. In the meantime, I am trying to do everything I can for my little old lady Ace. If she can't have a piggy companion, at least she can get have of love and cuddles from her human.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 am

Ace pig has a vet appointment on Monday. Though she seems fine, I am paranoid, and just want to be sure.

I have noticed that Ace tends to have bouts when she seems super squeaky and needy. She's quiet for a few weeks, and then she's very talkative. She squeaks loudly and repeatedly when I'm outside the room in the evenings and doesn't stop till I talk to her and give her a treat. She is also more affectionate than usual and purrs and vibrates when I pet her. I wonder if this behavior coincides with heat?

She never used to behave this way when Baozi was around, so I hope it's not loneliness. :/

Poor little Ace. :( Hopefully she can have a new piggy friend soon.

Some pics:

Ace pig checking out a new CD I bought

She loves her cilantro

Zzzzzzz

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:57 am

It does sound like she is in heat, but a vet visit might not be a bad idea; it may just put your mind at ease! It is evident in your pictures that Ace is so well cared for and loved.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Ace pig's vet visit was a while back, but she came back with a clean bill of health (aside from her usual back leg issues). In fact, her response times for her back legs are actually better.

She seems a lot more active and squeaky lately, and the other night she was running laps around the cage again! She hasn't run laps in a while so I was really pleased to see it. She must be doing better on the metacam.

Yesterday she had her Christmas photo shoot. I posted some photos in the random piggy pictures thread here: viewtopic.php?p=2137039#2137039

There are also some cute outtakes:

BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY ROCKIN' EVERYWHERE

LOL

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 am

Those pics are sooooooo cute!!! Glad Ace is doing much better.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:19 am

Lovely photos and glad to see Ace looking well.