The Three Little Pigs and the Big, not so Bad, Cuy!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 am

What cuties! Good for you for researching pig care.

By the way, the main forum pages show how many times a topic has been viewed. Looking here, I see that this topic has been viewed 162 times. Not too shabby!

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 am

Wow! 162 isn't too bad, is it! Of course I will never compete with Fairy (she just is too cute) but maybe I am not doing too bad so far!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:48 am

I am sorry you lost Joey :-(
Cookie is sooo handsome!

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Nobody mind the cord behind them in the photo. *eek*
I feel it only fair to warn you that the next part of the story is sad. :(

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 pm

I love you stripe
For a while, all was well in the house of pigs. Then one day, Stripe came down with bloat. I took him straight to the vet, but even after vigorous force feedings, simethecone, and tummy rubs, my poor Stripe didn't make it through the night. I was heartbroken. I loved all my pigs the same, but there was something special about Stripe. Maybe it was that he was my first pig. I miss you and will always love you, Mr. Stripe.
Finally did proper research
How could I have failed so badly as a piggy owner? I went online to research, to see why my pigs all passed way too young. I found out about pet store mills, how many pigs are sold ill, how rescues are a much better option. I decided when the time came to get Cookie a new friend, I would adopt. I also found out about c and c cages, and decided I wanted to build one for Cookie and his new friend when he arrived. So I built the cage, and Cookie looked on from his superpet cage. (I was going to put Cookie and his new friend in the new cage for the first time together) The only thing left to do was find a guinea pig rescue.

JessicaC

Post   » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 pm

I've been reading your story. Liking it so far... Waiting for more!!

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:27 pm

Meet Bean
The day I had scheduled to pick up my new piggy from the rescue dawned bright and early. I packed up a carrier with fleece, hay, and a few treats. I said goodbye to Cookie, and promised him a new friend and a new cage. Then I got in the car and drove to the rescue. When I got there, I picked out a cream and white Peruvian. Meet Bean!
My Bean is a friendly little thing who loves to beg for treats.

I love you Cookie
When I returned home, I went to go see my Cookie and tell him about his new friend. I was shocked to find, that in the short 3 hours I had been gone, he had passed. How could this have happened? He was completely fine when I left. I am guessing heart attack. I love you Cookie, I miss you so much. Even though you never got to meet Bean, I know you would have loved him.

I felt like such a flop, a horrible piggy owner. But I knew I had to stay strong for my Bean. I set him up in the C and c, but he just looked so lonely all by himself in the 2x5. But was I ready to welcome another piggy into my heart and home?

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 am

Enjoying your piggy chronicle and great to see your progression of guinea pig care growing. Can't wait to read the next part and meet the rest of your pigs. Bean is gorgeous.

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 am

Glad you are enjoying it! More to come!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:19 am

Bean is lovely!

Threepigsnacuy

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Getting to know Bean (and his cage)
In the time I just had Bean, I really got to know him and his personality. He is a friendly,spunky lil boy who likes to stand up on the bars and wheek for veggies. He is a small boy (831 g yesterday) but what he lacks in size, he makes up in sweetness. Whenever I spot clean, he goes on a popcorning rampage. One of the most adorable things about Bean are his good manners. Whenever I give him veggies, a treat, or I put him back in the cage after lap time, he makes a short "coo." He does it every time without fail. I think it is his own way of saying "thank you!" He is adorable, his funky peruvian hair goes everywhere no matter how many times I brush him. I love my Beanie!

During the time bean was a lone pig, he lived in a 2x5 c and c cage with fleece. He had a small "kitchen area" and a few other levels. He loved to hide in the fleece forest. I can't find any pics of Bean's first c and c, but I swear I took some.

Bean had the perfect life, except he had no piggy companionship. I felt really bad, so after I had recovered from Cookie's passing, I headed once more to the piggy rescue. This time I took my Bean with me. I told everybody I was taking him so he could pick his own friend, but really, It was for my own security, as I certainly did not want a repeat of last time.

Meet Midnight
When I arrived at the rescue, they set us up for a piggy date. Bean dated many piggies, but the piggy he loved most was a black boy with a white nose stripe. Meet Midnight!
Midnight is a big boy, but he is shy. He is so sweet and quiet. He chews on everything. He gets along so well with Bean. Right now, they are begging for treats!
Sorry for bad quality, iPhone pic.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Bean is such a handsome boar; glad Bean has a friend. You seem to have become a great piggy parent.