I Was A Teenage Piggy

StarTunnel

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi guys, I'm Jess, and although the story of my pigs is not an interesting one, I felt like it might be fun to share it, so here goes.

Last year, around March, I made a case to my mother. My case was that being a responsible young-adult, I was capable of taking care of my own pet. I had in the past, and so I wanted to take on a new friend - a bunny. My Mom nearly pulled her hair out at my constant prodding, and tried to ease me into an alternative - a guinea pig. I did some research and realized that a guinea pig was the pet for me, their personalities, their cute little faces and their squeaking drew me in. So, after 2 months of waiting, we drove over to PetSmart (ugh) and picked up some supplies - I was adamant about adopting or taking in an unwanted piggy. Upon walking past the guinea pig section however, I noticed a beautiful little abyssinian baby with gorgeous eyes. I felt so bad for the poor thing thinking of the position she had been thrown into, and so against my better judgement, brought her home in a carrier I had made just for her. I dubbed her Santana.
[URL=http://lunapic.com>]Image[/URL]
About a month later I noticed some sneezing and lethargy in the poor thing. Upon bringing her to the vet we were told she had an inner ear infection. She was put on an anti-biotic, some pain meds, and anti-nausea meds. My mother stayed home with her and I held her on my lap to steady her dizziness. She died shorty after-wards. I then vowed that my patronage at chain pet stores was no more.
New piggy intos coming next, sadness is out of the way early.[/img]

StarTunnel

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:32 pm

My mother soon surprised me with a new baby, purchased from a small family-run store that receives their animals from a local breeder. When I met her I was still pretty upset about Santana, and maybe the new piggy could sense that, because she laid up against me and stretched herself out, earning her pet-name "Burrito Pig" I however ended up naming her Jigglypuff, although she is often referred to as Big Piggy due to the size she grew to.
We were a bit concerned due to the fact that the family-run shop mis-sexed the pig she was in with and she began to show signs of weight gain around her middle, but were relieved when two months were up and there were no babies in sight. Around two months later we decided that it was time for a friend for our Big Piggy, and so Mabel, otherwise known as Baby Piggy came into our lives via the same store.
I'm just about positive she's part silky, I'll try to get a picture of her fluffy mohawk later.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 am

Sorry for your loss! Such sweeties!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 am

Love mohawk pigs. I'm waiting...! :P

clairey

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:20 pm

A chunky DEW and an agouti with a mohawk? Sounds like my kind of thread.

StarTunnel

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Alrighty, seems like some people are actually interested. :) Well the day came that we brought Mabel home. She was a timid little piggy, but that was okay. We figured that a few weeks with Jigglypuff would be enough to bring her out of her shell. Things didn't start off too well. Despite a buddy-bath and a bleached out enclosure, the two of them went at it for at least a month before we finally decided it would be best to split them but leave the cages within wheeking and smelling distance. This set up remained the same for at least 2 more months before we decided to give their friendship another try considering that Mabel and piggy were now out of their adolescent phases. We increased their cage space, expanding their cage to two levels, and added several ledges for them to jump up and lay on. The two now live in harmony. Here are some obligatory pictures of Mabel so everyone can get a view of her strange mohawk. I really don't know if maybe she's just a weird mix of silky and ridgeback? No idea, haha. Hope the pictures aren't too big.

StarTunnel

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:25 pm

So just in case anyone is wondering, little Mabel has the mo-hawk style ridge of a ridgeback, however the end of the ridge is quite long, giving way to longer "butt fur" around her hips that resembles a silkie's, however it isn't hair, and doesn't require trimming. It's obviously fur, so I'm guessing she's a mutt. :)

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Mabel looks very sweet. Glad to know she and Jigglypuff are getting along.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:00 pm

What a soft and expressive face she has!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 am

Weird, they ARE like a female Stephen and Alan. I love them!

clairey

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 am

Mabel's expression in the last pic is very like Stephen. She has even crazier hair but from the front they're very similar.

StarTunnel, in case you're confused, my original pair of boars looked a lot like to your girls. We need more pics and stories!

StarTunnel

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Due to my lack of computer access I am unable to post pictures today, but more will come soon. I'm very intrigued by what I'm hearing about these look alikes! Very cool!
A quick tidbit - it seems Jigglypuff has been having a case of the clumsies lately, as her recent attempts at jumping off of her favorite platform to beg for carrots face all ended with her instead sliding and landing on her flabby stomach. Her recent weigh in charted her at nearly 3 pounds, yikes! I swear I felt the ground move when she landed!