The Fabulous 4: Snickerspants Returns

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

She has only had filtered water since 2012.

Shilintong is on the table. Dr. A doesn't like the "herbals" companies that sell it in the US or the way they source their ingredients in China, etc., and at present she doesn't want to combine it with the citrate. But yes, we are discussing it.

And yes, she has been pelletless completely for about six weeks.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Miss Ouiser says, Who's your mama.

In other news: when we got home yesterday, Snick was so excited to see us that he donned the Hay Hat of Welcome Home.
But then he fully processed what was going on with the dividing fence and started testing the perimeter.

This morning, I had to add binder clips, because I found myself one pig short and with a very frustrated lump of fleece trying to get UNDER the fence.

I've been super busy today, but when I checked in on the pigcam, I saw Miss Ouiser sitting sadly in the corner, as if it were just TOO MUCH EFFORT to move to drink. You notice she is also pointedly ignoring the delectable dish of fresh CC and carrots I left for her.

Then I got a text from our dog walker, who stopped in to see if Snickers had imploded from boredom (no) or foiled the binder clips (also no). And HE found Miss Ouiser alternately chugging water and chowing down on hay.

"Don't tell Mom. I'm working this pitiful angle."

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Go Ouiser - you eat girl! That is some stone. And Snickers and his hay hat of welcome are very fetching. :) I love me some snick. I would get nothing done with a pigcam!

clairey

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm

It probably just took her a while to feel like doing much, depending on what drugs she's on. To you she was sitting sadly but she might well have been watching dancing carrots on the walls and going "woah, man!"

edit: I just saw in her med thread that she's on buprenorphine so yep, dancing carrots.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Ha! I love the image of dancing carrots. Okay, I can live with that. Haze of pain makes me sad. Haze of dancing carrots... I've been there. It was elephants when I was on codeine, but same difference. :)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Yeah, the bup makes them really stoned! She should only need it for a few days, then switch to Metacam. She could also still be feeing the effects of the gas. some of my neuters take longer than a day to "come out of it" completely.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 pm

She's still on Metacam. Both.

serelixyue

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:00 pm

I fully believe in Shilintong, Alden. Brainerror recommended it to me 2 years ago and all my 10 pigs are on a weekly dose of it, none has ever had a stone after I lost Puffy. Of course the source you get it from is important, I get mine from the oldest established chinese medicine shop in China every time I go to Beijing, it's in powder form and I syringe it.

Hope Ms Ouiser makes a full post-op recovery!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 am

We're talking about shilintong v. citrate. I don't know what to do about that exactly, but I worry that either way she's just going to keep making more stones. It's what she does and who she is!

Speaking of who she is: I sometimes wonder if I'm projecting personalities onto these little guys. I don't think Albert is quite as stuck-up as I make him out to be, for example. He's a guinea pig; I don't know if he thinks much about the relative quality of his hair compared to other pigs'. But Ouiser? I'm not kidding about this "tough as nails" thing. I'm not making it up.

24 hours after surgery:

I'm knocking on a forest full of wood as I type this, but: she's FINE. Maybe the stone was so bad that having it out just makes her feel great. Maybe she's just too busy to feel sick. Who knows... but whatever it is, this pig is the most aptly named pig ever. Steel Magnolia indeed!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 am

It's great to hear that Ouiser is recovering well, especially from such a large stone. She's looking a bit dopey in the pic (but to be expected after surgery and having the pain killer) but still cute. I must say she looks a bit better than my sow after her spay for ovarian cyst. Mine fell alseep in her pellet dish.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 am

Ouiser is indeed lookin' good!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:59 pm

I went to see Dr. Ahearn about something this morning. As I was leaving she said, "Oh, I've been out of town. Have you heard how Ouiser is doing?" I told her other than the dancing carrots on her cage wall, she was fine. I thought Dr. A was going to fall over laughing. She said Alden needs to write a blog about her animals and this crazy guinea pig cult because she has a special way of putting things! :)