New Pig Momma Adventures!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am

Your pictures are very cute but I am having a terrible time getting them to load.

Please don't use such large photos and put fewer on a page. Thanks.

Crash

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 pm

I thought we were getting a guinea pig, instead we got a tribble!

Picked her up right after work today, she screamed the whole way home, as the lady said she would. She is a WHEEKER. Big lungs on that tiny thing. I gave her a drink of water and nibble of lettuce and let her meet her sister through the bars (After the little thing ESCAPED. TWICE. THROUGH TINY HOLES I THOUGHT WERE SEALED.) all went well so they got to be together, they were very happy, popcorned, snuggled, ran together. I gave them a leaf of lettuce to make Tyrannosaurus quit crying. Then I separated the play pen again and let the big pigs in on one half so they could meet with them. The runt is way to small to be with the big pigs with how hard they play, I just don't want to risk putting them together right now. I think in a few weeks when she puts on more bacon I'll let them romp together.

Here's an album of them together. They are so happy, both are tearing around right now.

I'm going to cry if they keep me up wheeking in the night... mama's gotta work in the morning.

Crash

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

It's been interesting, with the passing of Tyrannosaurus 3 days after getting her, then having to ship the pigs across state to be babysat.

We still haven't found a solid cause of death for the TRunt yet, but she most certainly had the diarrhea. Possibly from too much rich food, though I took every measure to limit what she took in and made sure there was always hay in front of her.

My 3 pigs stayed at a trusted friend's house while I was on vacation for 3 days. Unfortunately that friend's grandmother died during this and the pigs got a little less attention than they should have, but no harm no foul.

Poor Sophie had a run in with what I call Satan in Fur, my friend's cat. Luckily he was afraid of this big beautiful 3 pound earless rabbit

Their first night back home I got a family portrait, though it turned out crappy (thanks, phone!)

My friend gave Kitty a new cage, it's definitely larger than her old one, she really loves it and popcorns around a lot now. I will be adopting her a new friend in a month or two when we move back home after I get this (Hopefully!) new job.

My friend and I went to two different PetSmarts looking for CC, but found none. I got some young pig Oxbow food, vitamin C tablets, and Oxbow veggie treats (limit of 1 every 2 days per pig).

Pepper is still a poo eater. I've changed their veggie diet to a low calcium one with more variety, she still prefers poop over veggies. Freak pig.

In the meantime I think I'll take today (my day off) to make the bathroom into a pig safe zone so they may venture in and out of there as they please during play hours.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Despite the Evil Soul, the cat is pretty darn cute. Glad the guinea pigs escaped unharmed!

Crash

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 am

Oh boy.

So, went to Petco for some bowls for Kitty, who has taken to knocking her non-tip-resistant bowls over and peeing in them. To make the story short, I think we're getting another pig.

This poor little boy has been in there forever, whenever we go we check out the pigs and he's one of those boys that they separate and keep in the big column tanks. He's been alone for so long, he looks like he's well over 6 months old. He popcorned when he saw us looking at him, went absolutely bonkers, he wants out.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning to see how much a neuter will cost. If it's decent, we'll pick him up and make an appointment. We have grids and fleece, just need to figure out a bottom part, probably going to be cardboard for now, can buy some chipboard from work later. He'll stay in our room, away from the girlies, hopefully the cage we make will be enough to keep his raging hormones out of the living room, though the girls are locked up pretty tight and off the ground.

Lucky dude's going to have a harem.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:25 am

Hello and welcome. What a lovely storry to read. :)

Crash

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Thank you! It's so fun to document it as things happen.

We reserved our boy tonight, the girl was so happy that we were taking him, he's been in there for several months, they believe he's over 6 months old when they usually get them at 2. He's going to be in a very makeshift cage, 2x2 grids with a tarp bottom, I'll raise up the tarp on the sides to make sure he can't get his nose out.

The girl took him out for us and he was absolutely darling, very used to handling and loved his scritches. So excited to take him home tomorrow!

Crash

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 am

Introducing... Chester!

Here's an album for you all

He's a very interesting pig, lots of personality and lots more to get to see, he still hasn't learned that veggies are good things, but he's learning. He's very comfortable around us, had his first playtime today and boyfriend and I both laid down in there with him, first thing he did was tunnel down my side and jump on my butt. He jumped on and over us the whole time, allowed petting, and just checked everything out.

Playtime is held close to where the other pigs are kept, so he's spending lots of time mooning at the girls and trying to poke his face out the wire barrier. He's managed to climb on top of his pigloo, so I've decided to put some grids on top of his cage (awe crap, forgot to get pics of the cage!) that will hopefully keep him in. The girls are in petstore cages so he shouldn't be able to get to them if he does escape.

His cage is 2x2 grids with a tarp bottom, tarp pulled up 3 grid holes and clipped on with binder clips. He's rooming in our bedroom so he's away from the girls/can't really smell them but sure can hear them.

He's in quarantine so we're having fun washing our hand a lot more now, having to switch out towels for playtime so no contamination. His first appointment at the vet is tomorrow, then we'll make the surgery appointment.

Meanwhile, I got a job offer about 2 hours away that I am taking, so we will be moving back to our respective parents' houses. Pigs are coming with me, by then the quarantine period will be up so he can be in the same room as everyone else, but still will have a few weeks before he can be with his ladies. Hopefully we will be able to move into an apartment with bf soon after, bf seems to really be bonding with Chester and I feel bad for making them split.

Crash

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Chester was a (slightly) good boy at the vet today, let the vet look in his mouth and only tried to jump out of her hands once. I love this vet place, the vet we had today is now my favorite, she was very smart and definitely loved him. She was happy with how things were going for him and was just great overall. The vet we had in January seemed a little apprehensive, I suppose. Didn't seem confident with the pigs. This one didn't even need a tech to help.

She said Chester seemed very healthy for being a petstore pig for the better part of his life, though his poops were long and lighter colored, they are getting to normal size and color now since he's had lettuce in his diet.

His special day is scheduled for Thursday, I'll drop him off in the morning and pick him up in the evening, hopefully. I'm not too pleased, as my shipment of CC seems to be stuck in Springfield MO according to the tracking :/ I want it NOW!

I'm pretty sad we'll have to leave this vet though, hopefully the ones back "home" will be as nice.

Crash

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:13 am

Well, moved the pigs to the parents' today. Got my friend's old rabbit hutch as well, she said it was 3x6 feet. It's really more like 4.5x6. Had to get the trailer to haul it in and my dad kinda hates me now, but it's set up and takes up my entire bedroom.

I left the pigs in the covered cages until I'm not feeling dead and can set up the big cage. Sophie and Pepper are in the 2x4, Kitty is in her normal cage, and Chester is in the 1.5x2.5. Chester will get the 2x4 until he's done being fertile and I think Kitty might be able to squeeze through the wire on the big cage for a bit longer because she's still only a baby.

Mercer is a jerk and showed me just how capable she is of getting in there. I left the door off and that's how she got in, so hopefully with that on she won't be able to get in. Think I'll throw some timber over the top and a flattened box for good measure once the pigs are in. Just for when I'm not around.

Here she is, flaunting.

We will be moving the rest of the stuff out of the apartment tomorrow, it's mostly the boyfriend's stuff and ALL THE FURNITURE (AAAAGH). My old twin bed is going to go in my room now because I don't think the full will fit >.>' I'm essentially not going to be lifting anything tomorrow because that dumb cage wiped me out completely. Gonna go die now.

Crash

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Pigs are in! Three fleeces, 6 puppy pads (going to switch to towels when my bag of pads runs out) a boot pan thing as a litter box. I worry that they're too mentally challenged to figure out how to get the water bottles, they got their bowls of veg tonight so hopefully that keeps them hydrated if they don't figure it out. I feel like these two have gotten a bit closer since the move, even though Sophie now has a bite mark in her ear. They don't seem to be fighting as much anymore.

You can't see, but Chester is now in the old blue cage, I put in the loft and ramp for him because he's a climber, hasn't figured it out though, that's where is food is, dork! He also got his veg and pellets on ground level, if I notice he hasn't gotten the hay and water by later tonight I'll put them down in a reachable area.

Kitty's still in her old cage, will try putting her in the big cage tomorrow after a mini-playtime-reintroduction with the other two. Hopefully she respects the barriers and doesn't decide to go for a little sky diving trip. If anything, I have grids that I can put up if I have to as extra "umph" to keep her in.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Creative cage idea. I like how the door is.