Dogs and Guinea Pigs?--do they get along?

Aertyn

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Probably a troll, but also plausible as this is pretty standard for care in this country (especially in country areas like Albury)

On the weekend the rescue I foster and volunteer for picked up a girl pig and her lethal baby that belonged to a school...that had nearly a dozen pigs of mixed genders running around outside in a tiny cage and breeding at will. No hay, little water, most have mites or fungal infections.

Fancy Pants

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm helping a friend who found out her allergies have gotten so horrible that her doctor informed her that her own lungs were being badly effected. So I have them now (and love them so much!)
Anyway, the one she named "Cheeks", had bound with her Italian Grey Hound. She was always careful and always had Cheeks either on her lap or in a cage even though the dog didn't seem that he'd harm cheeks
I guess my suggestion is the same as others. No matter how 'sweet' and 'gentle' a dog is with his new friend, it's never wise to trust that instinct won't overrule friendship at some point.
A little squeak or chirp or wheek sounds just like a toy, after all or injured prey.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 am

Troll alert!

angelsfort

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:31 pm

my opinion is that if you are going to get a dog, just keep it away from the pigs. Make sure your piggy cage is secure (very secure) and never allow them out for floor time with the dog around. Take extra precautions when you have friends / family / etc. in your house to ensure the safety of your little piggies.

I've got a Sheltie /Aussie mix puppy (she's about 18 months old now) and she's been around the pigs since we got her at 10 weeks old. She KNOWS she's not allowed near the pigs area during their floor time (my only concern with her is that she might step on them in her mad dash to eat their poops and their hay - the pigs are just something to sniff at to her). She goes to their C&C cage while they are in it and if the pigs come to the side they get their noses licked and the puppy gets HER nose nibbled on.

I've never had issues with her barking (unless someone knocks on our door) but that could be because of her Aussie parts.

CrazyCavyLady

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:37 pm

They can and do get along! To stack odds in your favor I wouldn't suggest a terrier breed for example, but terriers that get along with small animals aren't unheard of. There are common breed traits, but at the same time each dog is an individual.

I have a Pom and my mom has a (squeaky obsessed high drive) Silky Terrier. Obviously I was more strict about the Terrier interacting with the guinea pig than my Pom. They were both very respectful of the rules though. I set up a perimeter with carpet mats and they had to stay beyond that if I had to open up the cage for something. Once the door was closed and secured I gave them the ok and they could look at her all they want. They loved "watching tv." Any disrespectful behavior such as pawing at the cage or barking was discouraged. I thought my guinea pig would get stressed out with a big wolfy looking thing staring at her all the time but she was the most chill pig I've ever had and just went with the flow. She would even venture into the dog crates and drank out of their water bowl. The dogs were either gated or crated during floor time. If you have a yard, make sure to designate a clean yard area for the guinea pigs as they shouldn't be placed on or allowed to eat soiled grass.

Kimera

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:14 pm

This is my Pusio, who was already very sick then, and my neighbour's Pomeranian and Devonshire Rex cat. They were both fascinated by my guinea pig, and very respectful. The dog licked Pusio's ears as if he were a puppy. The cat liked the herbivore smell very much and tried to rub it all over herself.
Both the dog and the cat are females and they are very friendly. Nevertheless, I had the piggie on my lap and kept very close eye on "predators".