Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Brilla has Myxedema. This is literally jelly belly. Instead of fluids collecting on her belly it's fluid in the form of jelly. My vet has never seen anything like it but says it can happen in hypothyroid humans. But after observing Brilla constantly eating and bouncing around during the appointment, she agreed there was no way Brilla was hypothyroid.

I had arbitrarily doubled her hyperthyroid meds(Tapazole)a couple of weeks ago due to Brilla suddenly losing weight again. I called my vet to discuss but she was out of town. I figured we were going by the seat of our pants anyway in dosing so went for doubling.

The jelly belly appeared very suddenly and I took her in as soon as I saw it on Wednesday. I told my vet that I had doubled her meds and she said to go back to the regular dose, gave her some lasix and I gave her a subcue when I got home.

Her recheck was today. My vet is mystified. Still jelly belly. Brilla is active, eating and shows no signs of discomfort. She is eating a hell of a lot of clementine oranges(screams for me to get her some if they aren't in her basket) but my vet doesn't think that would cause the myxedema. Brilla gets private feeding sessions in the living room. She comes in and screams for her basket to be put down and she jumps in to eat. We shut the door to the kitchen to keep the other pigs out. When she's finished eating she screams for the kitchen door to be opened. This is the only way we can keep any weight on her.

Based on her nonstop eating and activity, my vet said to go back to doubled tapazole. We are monitoring.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Brilla died March 12. She was born January 21 2007 so she barely made it past 3 years. She was active(running from kitchen to living room) and eating right up to the end.

Necropsy results were completely shot kidneys. End stage kidney disease was the cause of death. However, she showed none of the signs our other kidney pigs have shown. Closest was the edema but I asked at the time and my vet said it wasn't pitted(pitting?) edema which is what I have seen with at least one end stage kidney pig.

My vet thought she managed to get a thyroid gland for the lab(said she would have bet her diploma on it) but it turned out to be a salivary gland. The thyroid is already small but might have been smaller due to the tapazole.

Thru her later life she had been on daily metacam for back issues. My vet said her spine xray looked like a train wreck. With metacam she could straighten her back and run rather than hop while hunchbacked. Pain relief was necessary for her quality of life.

The big difference between Brilla and our other kidney pigs was her activity level. She never stopped moving(or eating). The weight loss was continual despite her appetite, leading us to suspect hyperthyroidism. Unfortunately, without the thyroid going to the lab, we can't confirm.

PinkRufus - I just saw your question(I guess I missed the thread alert).
Better late than never: No there was no skin darkening. Tapazole would help(weight stabilized but did not increase) but seemed to need increasing as time went on.
Last edited by pinta on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm so sorry pinta.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Pinta, I'm so sorry you lost Brilla. That is too bad that the thyroid wasn't sent in.

Thanks for the input about the Tapazole. I'm still researching for the Skinnies, so any information helps.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Pinta, I wrote to the lab and asked them specifically about thyroid issues in hairless guinea pigs. I mentioned the cases that mimicked hyperthyroidism/thyroid storm. Their response was that they do not see this in their hairless guinea pigs. They suggested evaluation of tissues for pathology. And that it could be a consequence of inbreeding.

I wish I could have found out something more specific, but have been running into nothing but dead ends on this one.

pinta

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:06 pm

It does seem that skinnies either last a max of 3.5 years and look 7 when they die or age like a normal pig. It is like there are 2 different breeds out there.

I'm fresh out of skinnies right now so it will probably be a very long wait before any more investigation (necropsy-wise) can be done on our end.

LandosMomma

Post   » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Blind Mag: died 12/14/11

Pink skin/Red eyes

Age Approx: 2-5 years old

Back bred her entire life. Housed in wire bottomed cage. Rescued 2/2/11.

Medical history: Two vet visits for suspected cataracts. Diagnosed as congenital eye defects. Bumblefoot, once cleared, discovered a paw that had once broken and never healed correctly.

Symptoms prior to death: Burst eyes, blue tint under skin, masses in neck, orange spots on back, seizures.

Pending necrospy, suspected lymphosarcoma.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 am

Otto
Sex: Male
Color: TSW
Death: Unsuccessful cystotomy (bladder stone).
Medical History: Sprained foot, hematoma from fight wound.

Henri
Color: Golden agouti
Death: Calcification of bronchial tubes (age related).
Medical History: Regular checkups, perfect health.

Algernon
Color: Red & White
Death: Heart failure (age related)
Medical History: Sinus infection at age 5, other than that, none.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I hate that I am writing in this thread :(

Rugby
Colour: Pink, Grey, Tan Hair on Face
Death: Bladder Stone, Cardiac Arrest at the end of surgery.
Medical History: Top teeth knocked out, bottom teeth filed down, Swollen skin around his penis, Bladder stone.

Zorro

Post   » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 pm

I am sorry if this has been posted - honestly I did not read all 5 pages.

What is a normal T-4 count for a healthy skinny?

Thanks

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Hyperthyroidism is now officially recognized in guinea pigs.

The latest edition of Diseases and Disorders - Small Mammals: guinea pigs. Page 260, 261 (sorry, all I have to go on is the photocopied sheets my vets gave me from the newest med book she got).

This means nothing to me but the vet techs out there will be able to make sense of it:

Serum thyroxine(T) - tiny 4 is at the bottom right of the "T"-measurement reference range, 1.1-5.2 ug/dL(14.? - crease in the page can't see if there is a number following 14 - it's probably 14.15 - 66.9 nmol/L)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:14 pm

That is encouraging. It certainly exists.