I'm worried about Rosie.

PauloF

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 pm

And how will you keep him from scratching or even pulling the drain off?

I do hope that eveything works right for him.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:51 pm

He is sitting right next to me wrapped up in a towel and placed on a soft cushy pillow. So when he moves to scratch, I just grab his little foot and gently tell him, no way dude.

__

Geez. The smell of his abcess is EVERYWHERE. It's horrible. I've washed my hands, changed shirts, and I can still smell it everywhere.

I just made Velveeta Shells and Cheese and I swear to Christ that it smells like Rosie's abcess. I can't even eat it now.

I never dreamed that anything could smell THIS BAD.

monique2

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:06 pm

I am SOO rooting for you guys. I have to get my update daily. You (and all the others with experience nursing sick pigs) are incredible role models and I always learn so much from reading your stories.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:45 pm

It will get better, Para. We're pulling for him.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:25 am

Thanks you guys!

I finally fell out around 8:15 pm and took a nap.

Rosie ate his whole bowl of Critical Care and some hay while I was asleep and now he's working on a bowl of shredded veggies.

When he's done eating we are going to Flush The Hated Smelly Abcess. I'm gonna teach Xan to do it so maybe I won't have to (heh, heh, heh).

Seriously, though, he seems to be doing a lot better after the anesthesia has completely worn off and all. Thanks to everybody following Rosie's journey.

In the words of the vet tech, J., who showed me how to flush his abcess today: "He's an INCREDIBLE pig. What heart!! To be so old and so sick and to still keep fighting! Rosie's a trooper."

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:53 am

Good luck to the little guy.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:01 am

We took some more pictures.

Here is one of Rosie's tube, from inside his mouth, next to his bottom right incisor:

http://photos.imageevent.com/paravati/r ... thtube.jpg

Here is a better picture of the tube from under his chin. You can see the hole we're flushing with Nolvasan and the stitches:

http://photos.imageevent.com/paravati/r ... _tube4.jpg

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 am

I kind of wish they had pulled the offending tooth, but maybe he will be ok. If he has a root abscess from the tooth, I think it will recur, but I hope not.

I'm so pulling for you and Rosie.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:47 am

Well, the vet said that first we needed to get rid of this massive infection. She wants him to stay on the Baytril for a while, and we will know the results of the culture soon. Once the infection has toned down a bit, she says there's a lot of scar tissue inside the abcess that has to be removed. And if it doesn't get much better, that the tooth will have to come out. I think it was just so bad when she went in there this time that she didn't want to further traumatize him by taking out the tooth just yet. I hate it that he'll have to go back for ANOTHER surgery, but I will just have to trust her in this case.

Rosie is fast becoming one of the most expensive pigs we've ever had here. He is eclipsed only by Tigger, the $1400 pig. What is it about the ornery little boys that makes your heart melt??

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:11 pm

Very cool pictures! I never saw a drain like that.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:33 pm

Thanks, E. I've never seen a drain, period. Hehe. So this is ALL new to me.

He's doing much better today. He gets his Meloxicam (.12 in the morning and again at night) and then nods off for a bit. He will wake up after about 20 minutes and spring around the cage, hopping from water bottle to pellet dish to CC mix to bowl of shredded veggies to bowl of specially cut up fruits to Timmy hay to Blugrass hay and back to water bottle again. (His whole cage is an experiment in Getting This Pig To Eat). He chows down until he's tired and then goes back to sleep again. Amazingly, he has gained weight and is now over 900grams.

His abcess has reduced in size. Now, the swelling is mostly to the right of the tube and follows the path of the tube down his neck. I can still feel a bit of the scar tissue in there but it's nowhere near as swollen as it was yesterday. It still stinks when we flush it, though.

ThatKat

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:36 pm

Para, I am so happy for you and Rosie. Thanks so much for posting the pictures and all the info. This really helps SO MANY other people and animals out there.