Marshalls Medical Thread

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:39 am

Right, I'm starting this thread because of Marshall. He has been squeaking a lot when peeing and I had him to the vet last Friday after my big move. The local vet seemed pretty thorough although I haven't yet gauged how knowledgeable he is in regards to guinea pigs, and he prescribed Marshall some Baytril 0.3mls twice a day for a UTI - after having a good feel of his tummy to see if he could feel any stones, which he said he couldn't. Bear in mind I've not used this vet before(!)

I've been giving the Baytril for just about a week now but Marshall seems to be staying exactly the same. He's crying when peeing, it's awful to listen to :( I have another vet appt for this evening so I'm going to speak to him about pain management as well, in the meantime I gave Marshall a small dose of Childs Nurofen last night, which seemed to help. I've had a look at his private parts myself and can't see any soreness or redness, but there area couple of powdery deposits around the cage.

My question is, if Marshall doesn't have a stone but the Baytril isn't working, what else can I do to help him? I've ordered some new pellets with less calcium in them, but switching to a pellet free diet would be difficult as I'm highly allergic to most hays - they currently have a special hay ordered from The Hay Experts which is dust reduced. I'm on a search for Shillintong too so if anyone can suggest where I can get some that might help :) Any other advice would be appreciated!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:31 am

Septrin works better for UTI's, so I'd swap over to that if you can.

Also, a urine culture will rule out an infection. That's always our first port of call when Anselmo starts with his squeaks.

If there's no infection then it's time for an x-ray.

Also, Marshall, just because Jon has his own thread doesn't mean you have to get poorly to copy him. Get better soon!

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks Jaycey, I'll discuss the options with the vet tonight, he seemed pretty knowledgeable last week but the real test is whether they listen to what you have to say in my opinion.

Poor Marshall and Jon, they are in the wars aren't they?!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 am

Fingers crossed he does. I've just had to change vets because my previous one wouldn't listen.

If he's not happy swapping to Septrin ask him to take a urine sample as apparently that can tell you which antibiotic to try.

If Marshall is anything like Jon he'll happily take Septrin, he always tries to get Anselmo's Septrin, or Metacam... or water.

Let me know if you can't find any Shillingtong and I've post you a bottle of mine, I bought 2 just in case and still have some of the original bottle. I don't think Anselmo will be around long enough to use 2.5 bottles of it!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 am

Feeling for stones is useless. They might find a big one that way, but not necessarily smaller ones. I'd insist on an x-ray. And I believe Bactrim is more often prescribed for UTIs than Baytril.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 am

Ditto on the Septrin (Bactrim) and xray.

He needs an xray to check for stones. Trying to find them manually is a losing proposition. Meloxicam should help with the pain.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Well I managed to get Metacam for him and another weeks dose of Baytril. He said if we don't see any improvement in a week or so then to take him back and we'll arrange an x-ray. I asked for a urinalysis but he said we'd be able to rule out a UTI by the pain meds and antibiotics. I've given Marshall the pain meds as soon as we got in and he's had another dose f Baytril before I put him back in the cage.

I always get really stressed when I go to the vets because I feel like they don't listen. It took long enough to get the vets in Galashiels to listen and realise that I sort of knew what I was talking about when treating them, a whole new area and a whole new vet is a whole new load of stress for me and I always feel like I'm going in as a bit of a know it all sometimes :(

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

It always amazes me the number of vets that prescribe an antibiotic when they have no idea if a UTI is even present. Antibiotics are powerful medications that can save lives but they are so overused. Look at all the antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I prefer to have an urinalysis done first and if no bacteria is present then I ask for an X-ray. If there is bacteria present then of course give the antibiotic.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 am

I wouldn't take a "wait and see" approach with this one. Time is not on your side when dealing with stones. I lost a pig who was prescribed Baytril and the vet seemed to think we had all the time in the world, we didn't. I have never had Baytril show any affect on UTI's. Septrim/Bactrim is the better choice and it is what is used to treat UTI's in other species, including humans. I think too many vets use Baytril by default, simply because it is safe and commonly used for guinea pigs. I really tried to fight the vet who prescribed Baytril, put off x-rays and then surgery for my Rupert. It turned out, he was wrong and at Rupert's expense. Fortunately, I have access to better vets now!

If Marshall is crying that much while peeing and it is that awful to listen to, chances are he has a stone. I would go back and insist on an x-ray, if nothing else, it may save his life.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I used to get UTIs often and have always found relief from the prescribed antibiotic within a day. If you are seeing no improvement after a week of antibiotics then my opinion is something else is going on.

I do want to send my support to you. I am lucky to have a very good vet that does listen. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a new vet that I didn't trust totally. It must be very stressful.

Just remember you live with your pet and know it a lot better than the vet that sees it for 10 minutes. Be strong and insist on an X-ray.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Well the good news is that Marshall seems a lot better today, he has stopped crying when peeing and seems much more comfortable in himself.

I'm keeping a really close eye on him rest assured and I have another appt for him with the other vet in town tomorrow morning, I thought getting a second opinion might be helpful.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I am so glad Marshall is doing better. I hope he continues to improve. Please keep us posted.