Abbey's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 am

I imagine it is possible a tooth could have issues on both ends. Look very very closely to see if there is any bulging of the eye (compared to the other one).

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 pm

I have been treating Abbey's eye with a warm cloth and at first thought it helped but I noticed yesterday some more dampness under her eye.

I really could use a piggy anatomy lesson to try and understand the process of the cleaning fluid.

Where does the cleaning fluid come from? Does it come from a tear duct? Does the cleaning fluid randomly fill the eye and the filling of the eye trigger the guinea pig to clean the face or does the pig somehow trigger the process when they want to wash their face?

When a guinea pig does wash do both eyes release the fluid simultaneously?

Do rabbits also produce white cleaning fluid? There seems to be more information on rabbits and the little bit I have read on discharge from eyes in rabbits suggests tooth issues?

I am leaning towards having the X-ray done to rule out root problems but at this time I am not comfortable having the tear ducts flushed. Their ducts would be so small and I am afraid of damage.

I was really hoping her vet would come up with some sort of drops for the eye that might help.

I really hate to put Abbey through unnecessary procedures. I have done that before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

A veterinary ophthalmologist would definitely be the person to consult/do it if you wanted to pursue opening the tear ducts more.

I don't have answers to your questions but am guessing the fluid would be released from the top of the eye and both eyes at the same time. I wish I could say this with confidence but I don't know for sure. Since they don't blink their eyes like humans do, this (what I think is also an eye lubricant) you'd think would have to be released from above.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks Lynx

I think your suggestion of the warm compress did actually help. It may not cure the problem but the eye didn't release the white fluid as often. I didn't apply the compress last night and notice more fluid today. It was a lot better after the treatments. I need to treat her eye everyday for a week and see if there are any long term benefits.

I have access to a veterinary ophthalmologist. Apparently she comes into our area twice a month.

Do you think adding 1/4 teaspoon of nasal salt to 1 cup of sterile water would be better than plain water. That is the solution I use to flush my sinuses.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:15 pm

A sterile saline solution should work fine.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 pm

I am going to get another opinion on Abbey's eye condition on Tuesday. My friend goes to a different exotic vet in the area so I am going to see what she has to say.

I am really concerned Abbey may have an elongated root. If an X-ray does show this is the problem what should I expect? One of the teeth under that eye does have a small concave area, but that is the only thing the vet could see that was not normal with the teeth.

I looked at the information on elongated roots but there wasn't anything on what could be done. I have read that the offending tooth could be ground down. Is pulling that tooth an option? And if so what will happen to the rest of the teeth once it is gone?

Abbey gets limited pellets, leafy greens and piles of hay. I have added 2 more water bottles to their cage which now total 4. I bring in fresh 2nd cut Timothy hay when it is baled in the fall and also a 1st cut just to give them a little more stem to grind. I have 300 lbs. of hay stored for 2 guinea pigs for the winter and Abbey eats it all day long. I am not sure what more I can do.

How about Vitamin C and tooth problems? Is there any connection between the two?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat May 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I first noticed Abby's sebaceous cyst when I was holding her for the vet August 30, 2012 so she has had it for almost 2 years.

It has grown over the past two years and I feel it is time to have it removed. It sometimes leaks sebum and Zoe is starting to lick it. I booked her in for surgery June 10th.

This will be my first guinea pig surgery so I know I will need some advice. I have some time to prepare and will read everything on post-op care, etc. I have a very good exotic vet and trust her completely.

My first question is regarding blood work before surgery. Is it necessary? I have heard from other members that is difficult to take blood from a guinea pig.

I usually take both girls when I go to the vet, but I will have to leave Abbey for the whole day so I think it is better to leave Zoe at home. I am about 45 minutes from the vet and I plan to come home after I drop her off. What do other members do when they have to leave their piggy at the vet?

I am already getting a little anxious about this surgery and would appreciate any support and advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Is your guinea pig in otherwise good health? Since this is not an invasive surgery, you might not need blood work (did your vet suggest it?).

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat May 17, 2014 11:54 pm

Abbey is only 3 years old and in very good health. The quote the vet gave me was for $436.00 which included $95.00 for blood work.

My friend has had surgery done on two of her guinea pigs, one for a spay and another for a growth in the ear. Both were done by Abbey's vet. I left a message for her to call me back to see if blood work was done before the two surgeries.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 am

It is a good screening to ensure the pig is in good health. I don't know if your vet would be okay with foregoing it but (depending on what your other friend says), maybe?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 18, 2014 9:57 am

My Flourish didn't have any blood work done when she had her stone removed.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun May 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info Lynx and bpatters. I told the receptionist when she called with the quote that I didn't think it was necessary. I will have to wait and see what her vet says.

About fasting. When I thought I had to have Abbey sedated for an ultrasound I was told she would have to fast for 4 hours. She wasn't sedated so it wasn't an issue.

For this surgery I was told no fasting at all and she can eat right up until surgery time. I think my friend had to fast her guinea pigs for a couple of hours.

The recommendations for fasting seem to change and that part is a bit confusing.