Smokey - pharyngeal abnormality

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:23 am

That's awesome. :-)

Please keep us posted. I hope he and Dak can come to terms beneficial to them both.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Alas, Smokey simply could not stop terrorizing Dak, I had to remove him for Dak's sake.

But seeing the change in him was so heartening that I decided to try to pair him with Hawkeye. So far, so good. the two of them are getting along as good as any boys would. There's chasing, only a little teeth chattering and rumbling. But the hair standing up has almost disappeared, so I'm guessing it's settling down to boys just pestering each other and rough housing. There was never any biting, whihc I take as a good sign. Maybe the two of them were each so lonely being together, they appreciate the company.

They're in a pretty big space right now with hay and a tent - no hideys. I'll leave them here all day and put them in their new cage tonight. I may try to make their cage a little more than 2x4, at least for now.

Cross all crossables, please!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Done. :-) Please keep us posted.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:14 am

There's an interesting thing here. I think it happened with both Smokey and Charlie Brown. Both of them are/were special needs - CB had a too much trauma and was emotionally scarred and Smokey has the breathing problem.

Both of them always came out of the gate fighting and on the offensive. Makes me wonder if there isn't something else at play her. Like a perspective towards the world that means you have to fight extra hard when you're sick and vulnerable.

I don't have an other explanation for Smokey right now. When he's alone, he sits quietly in the corner, and runs to hide when I just walk past his cage.

But when I move him in with other pigs, even quiet gentle ones, he turns into a ninja pig. Sad for him. But he has such a limited life span that I don't need to push this. The last piig I had with this abnormality lived only a couple of months.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:11 am

I think your psychological analysis is probably correct.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Smokey's gaining weight - that's the good news.

I fortuitously discovered two small bite wounds that were infected. but not yet abscessed. Cleaned them out and am treating, He's already on ABs. They must be close to 2 weeks old, since that's the last time he was housed with another pig.

The really bad news is that his breathing has worsened. It is quite an effort for him to breathe - his whole body just struggles. I don't know quite how to describe it. But when I hold him, his whole body kind of spasms.

He still eats hay, veggies and pellets. He's very sweet and docile at this pint - I suspect mostly because he just doesn't have the energy to run away or resist. He's a great snuggler, and will just perch himself on my shoulder, under my chin, while I whisper sweet nothings in his ear and hold him.

It's breaking my heart. He's pretty much on the highest does of the metacam my vet is comfortable with. There's not much else that can be done.

How long do I let him struggle for every breath like this? What the vet and I foresee is that a respiratory crisis will occur and lead to his death. That's what happened with Olive.

There's a part of me that thinks I should just let him go now, and not put him through any more suffering. On the other hand. . .

I just don't know. Any thoughts?

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:14 pm

What a dilemma Jacqueline, and I wouldn't know either what to do.

I think you just have to do what you think is right in this situation (which we all know you will).

Is there anything other than the Metacam that would help his breathing or relax him?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 pm

It's hard to know what they would define as "suffering". We can define it for ourselves, of course, but to him it may just be a factual "it's hard to breathe" like "it's hot today" would be for us. They don't think about it.

Do you see the spark of engagement in him still? Engagement with you, his surroundings, his food? Is he in pain, at least as far as you can tell? And what dose of Metacam is he currently on?

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:19 pm

He doesn't really engage with his surroundings much - he tends to stay in one place. He does seem to like sitting with me when I give him his meds. His metacam does is .3ml 2x day.

The episodes where he can hardly breathe are increasing in frequency. He's starting to cough and seems to struggle to get stuff cleared out of his throat. This is how it goes with his pharyngeal problem. The muscles needed to control breathing and dealing with phlegm and other fluids just don't work well enough.

I've discussed some more with my vet. Here was her last email to me: "From what you are describing, it sounds like this little pig should be put to sleep. If he is struggling that much to breathe, that is not good. You have always been a good judge of quality of life for your pigs and you will come to the right decision again. I hope this helps a little."

I'm bringing Smokey in Thursday afternoon. Dr. M. has asked permission to do a necropsy afterwards, which I agreed to, so we can find out what this weirdness is.

This will be hard for me. I really love this guy.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:05 pm

I am so sorry Jacqueline. Loving and then letting go is not easy. He has had a wonderful loving home with you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 am

Sit with him lots between now and Thursday. Sing to him. Let him know he is loved. I know you'll do that.

Know that he is getting the best possible care in the world from you.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks. I'm also hoping to get some real answers about what exactly the problem is. He's the second pig I've had with this thing - maybe Smokey can help us better help the next one.