Cuy Data

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:38 am

Ditto. And did you really mean 450 grams? That's pretty light weight. Even if you meant 1450, I have a couple of pigs over 1400 grams and they surely aren't cuys.

Meapiggies

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I did not have the proper scale the only one I had was to 450g I did weigh her later and she is 3.6lbs and is only 8 months old. She is twice the size of both of my pigs and is extremely strong and skittish.

lisam

Post   » Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm

My rescue got our first cuy today. I didn't realize what she was until I went to pick her up. The tell tale orange and white coloring and large shape should have tipped me, but I haven't heard of any being up this way (Seattle).

She freaked out, and when I finally got ahold of her she screamed bloody murder for a long time. I just held her firmly and tried to calm her.

I'll get back with her size and weight and a photo.

The woman who brought her had no idea. She had taken her in from a neighbor who was going to let her go outside.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon May 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank goodness you got her. People are so dumb. I hope you can post pictures.

newcavylover414

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I am not sure if my Cavy is a "CUY" Can someone help me understand how to tell? :)

lisam

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I was reading back through this thread and saw that I had heard of cuy being here in 2011.

Since we've taken in "Buddha", I've heard of two others this week. One was taken in by a local rabbit rescue--I saw him and he's even more wild than our girl. Someone else asked to surrender another one (this one, by her account, is very friendly, and I would consider taking him in).

Mary from Cavy Companions (she takes in un-adoptables) is going to take our cuy. She's had some experience with them.

So this is Buddha. She weighs 3 lbs 5 ounces, so I think maybe she's part cuy and part regular pig.

rmeniteowl

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:11 am

I was just asked by our local shelter to foster a guinea pig. I strongly suspect he is a cuy. At the shelter they went to clean his cage and he panicked and leapt out of the cage, off the table and across the room. They finally managed to catch him; however, the workers were scared of him. After much thought, I agreed to foster him. I do suspect he will be added to our herd. I hope he will get along with the other 3 boys.

Name: Goliath (shelter name) has since been changed to Magnum P.I.G.
Date obtained: May 27, 2014
Found or purchased where: Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter, Billings MT
Color: Red and white
Abnormalities: none visible
Temperment: Wild, skittish, hard to catch, he settles down once he is caught and is usually calm once he is held; but still startles easily and doesn't seem to truly relax. Oh, and he can leap tall grids with a single bound. :)
Health problems: none apparent, I will take him to the vet towards the end of quarantine

His age is listed as 9 months and he weighs 1305 grams.

His feet are large especially his back feet. I could only get a picture of the front paw.

He does have a sweet face.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am

He does indeed. Would you like me to add your pics to this thread?

rmeniteowl

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Sure--thanks Lynx, that would be great.

tpshadow

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi I have a cuy.She not a year old and weighs 5 lbs now.She is a red color with no extra toes.She's very skittish and hard to catch. She is a very dominating pig in the house.I have another girl not a cuy and Poppy the cuy is always the mean one. I hope there are more I do about cuy.
I got her in February 2014 at petsmart. I would visit the store with my dogs and saw her.wow she was big.so about a month I kept checking on her to make sure you got to a home.so one month past by and no such luck so I bought her not knowing she was a cuy.She lots to hide in tunnels and not very vocal.
Female not a year yet.
Cuy

tpshadow

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Name Poppy
Date obtained February 2014
Found or purchased where? (please be specific) Petsmart Milpitas, CA
Weight 5 lbs
Color Brown or red
Abnormalities (ie. extra toes) None that I can tell
Temperament Very skittish, agressive toward other guinea pigs
Health problems None so far she does have a different type of smell or scent than any other guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 pm

I wonder if the scent has anything to do with her health. And 5 pounds is way up there!

Let me know if you'd like your photo added permanently to this thread.