Smokey - pharyngeal abnormality

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 pm

So, I spoke with the vet today about the necropsy. It was a little surprising.

There was no abnormality that she could find anywhere in his throat, etc. The only thing she could spot anywhere was that Smokey had lots of "spots" on his lungs. They were "a mess"

Apparently pigs' lungs are pretty dense, so spotting tumors in them is hard.

She thoughts there were a couple of possibilities:
1. There was an underlying fungal or bacterial thing happening in his lungs. It wouldn't have been knocked out by the Baytril.

2. It's entirely possible he had lung cancer, though it isn't that common in pigs.

Whatever it was he had it for quite some time and it was pretty advanced.

Poor boy! It was just a bit surprising, since his lungs always sounded clear, and the noise seemed to be coming from his throat and nasal areas in a really profound way.

Well we've learned something here. And at least he didn't suffer for too long. I just wish we had tried to figure some of this out before the necropsy. . .

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 pm

It sounds like there was not much you could have done to help the poor little guy. Does this mean he did not have a pharyngeal abnormality?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:34 am

We had one with what the vet described as "lung scarring". He came from a bust on an extended-stay hotel, where four were living in a bathtub.

I suspect Smokey came initially from somewhere with a houseful of heavy smokers/dopers. We were pretty sure that was Littletan's situation, and he was not in as bad of shape as Smokey was.

Ditto Lynx. I doubt there was anything at all you could have done about this, except exactly what you did -- give him the best care possible and a lot of love.

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:49 am

Correct Lynx. The vet found no anatomical abnormality in his pharynx or anywhere else.

The vet didn't seem to think it was scarring. What she saw were white spots that looked to her like they were either tumor or fungal things (I picture moldy/mossy stuff).

What I did know about Smokey was that he was obtained when he was little by one person. Once his problems started, he was surrendered to the rescue. The home he was in didn't have any obvious environmental issues and he was in otherwise good shape when the shelter initially got him.

Who knows?

Yes, I did the best I could at the time. I just wish we had thought about fungal stuff. If we had treated for that, he might have improved and had more time. If wishes were horses. . .

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 am

Not sure how you would get a fungal medication into the lungs. Not sure they can be nebulized (they may, I've just never heard of it).

Both you and your vet have learned something, that may very well help another pig(s) down the road. That is not a poor legacy for Smokey to have.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:45 am

Yes, and that's what I hold on to. Thanks.