You're the one for me fatty!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Any reason for the skin scrape? It doesn't sound like mites (and they are very treatable without a scrape, and ivermectin isn't harmful to the pig). Poor Nibbler.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

there are other conditions it could be. I can't remember what vet at work said (I work at the zoo and he's a piggy/chinchilla/rabbit expert).

I basically want an x-ray or ultrasound first though. Or see my regular vet (we had the girl trained by her) as she'll prolly say yes to a spay.

I may opt for an ovariectomy for Pudding once she's full grown, just to prevent this crap from happening. They all go cystic in the end :/

poppycorn

Post   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 am

Hugs to Nibbler. I hope it works out for you!

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:48 am

Here's a vid of Pudding kissing mah faice in the meantime

serelixyue

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 am

*Melting*

LainLockey

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:46 pm

So sweet! Aww!

poppycorn

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 pm

I think I just completely melted...

tashab

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 pm

If you ever tire of Pudding, I will gladly help you out ;)

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Well it has been a while, but it's been a journey. Our reg vet was busy so we had to see a different one who was trained by her.

Long story short she send us home with 0.2ml metacam x2 daily for mild arthritis. Nibbler was 625g at this point. 2 months later she wasn't getting better but did regain some weight at 780g.

She had chewed off more fur and even skin so we had to go back and get her referred to one of my vet colleagues at the zoo who does internal referrals at my vet practice. He did skin scrapes which came bk neg. and a CT scan.

CT scan showed quite bad arthritis in her front legs and her shoulders, so she was diagnosed with serious poly-arthritis. She probably got this condition early on, but had remained undetected and it is probably caused by malnourishment early in life/weak genetics (as she was a backyard rescue through the RSPCA and inbred/pregnant at 2 months).

We are trialling her on tramadol atm, but there are quite a few painkilling options available if it doesn't work. Once pain is dealt with properly we can look into glucosamine and other joint aiding supplements.

Fingers crossed she's soon pain free! We were warned she won't be old..

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Hope the Tramadol works! I have two arthritis piggies, one the Metacam is enough and the other is a combo of Metacam and Tramadol.
Ernie has both meds, he has spinal stenosis and arthritis.

I hope the Tramadol works its magic on her like it does on Ernie.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Wishing relief for little Nibbler. Poor girl deserves it after her rough we start.

And she'll always be my favourite, the spunky little girl :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Nibbler is such a sweet pig. I hope the medications provide some relief.