Baby Boar with Bite Wound (?)

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:20 pm

So I found several babies/juniors at the Fairfax County shelter and took home the one I liked best. Took him to the vet the very next day and exam went fine except for a small lump noted on palpation. Thinking the worst I thought cancer or dental malocclusionk vet thought thyroid nodule. However, she noticed a small scab which had pretty well healed under the fur, so we both think it's a bite wound, highly plausible as he was sharing a cage with three brothers. Vet is not sure whether it's a haematoma, scar tissue or abscess so he is on antibiotics, for which the shelter has agreed to reimburse me...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Just keep an eye on it. If you note any sign of infection, the vet will probably have to clean it out well.

If it's scabbed over now with no infection left sealed in, it will probably heal fine.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I've had way too many abscesses for my liking. Small lumps, especially if they are scabbed closed give me the willies. Keep a close eye and the minute you feel it getting any bigger - off to the vet. IMHO. Infection isn't always visible to the eye.

Here's hoping it's healed and all better!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:18 pm

He is on AB's twice a day, we will see the vet Friday, hopefully.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Oops, sorry Jane - must have missed the AB part. That's good. Good luck at the vet!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:14 pm

:)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 am

Let us know what the vet says.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 am

Thanks, Talishan. Vet sez he's fine now.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1