Cuy Data

tpshadow

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am

That would be awsome Lxnx.

tpshadow

Post   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:15 am

My boyfriend says she has a scent none like my two guinea pigs that I had.Sydney is housed with her and Poppy the cuy is very assertive and constantly shows Sydney who's the dominating one.So they are still in the same house but had to dive them.They can see and smell each other.When it comes to play time I put them together as I watch and interact with them.Poppy has started all over the dominance thing and Sydney is super scared.
I have her since February got her form petsmart. I went to see her every week and I was hoping someone would get her.So a whole month has past and she was still there so I got her.
I didn't know she was a cuy.I just thought she was a very large guinea pig.
She is very skittish and when you can catch her she does stay with you.

smoknbunny

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi there! New member here. Longtime browser of the site. Just signed up to give you some Cuy data.
I have an informal guinea pig "rescue" and was just given a very large guinea pig who was going to be euthanized at the shelter because he's "skittish". Luckily someone there got my name from someone who knows me so she called.
Name: Chester 1.5years old
Date obtained: July 7, 2014
Where: Humane society
Weight: 3# 14oz
Color: orange and white
Abnormalities: none
Temperament: must trap in pigloo to pick up, tries to jump out of arms if held, hides all day and rotates or moves pigloo toward desired consumable
Health problems: none so far but soft stool possibly from stress[/img]

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm

i've heard of a couple other cuy showing up in Oregon. So along with lots of Cuy in California, it sounds like Washington and Oregon are now too getting cuy. I'd be curious to know if they originated from Petco or Petsmart, which is where almost all of the San Francisco bay area cuy come from.

I got an email recently from someone in Portland, Oregon who has a male cuy and wanted to adopt a female cuy from me so the 4H kids could experience cuy pups. She wanted them to be able to recognize cuys when they were pups.

smoknbunny

Post   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:06 am

They've probably been here a few years at least. I work for a vet who sees guinea pigs and we have a few as patients. All skittish. I have to warn newer employees to watch out when they come in because the shoot off like bullets. You need a catchers mitt getting them out of a kennel. Haven't seen any with the abnormalities. Not sure where they were obtained but I can start asking

becke365

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm from Bismarck, ND and I think my Fiver is a cuy. I bought him last May from Petco here. Rex is my other guy he weighs about 2lb. And Fiver weighs almost 6lbs. Fiver in every way has the behavior of what I've read about a cuy. He has normal amount of toes but large feet.He looks lighter in color though too than what I've been seeing. In just looking for confirmation and thought Id share since I haven't heard anything about cuys in ND.

crabshack

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 am

I'm from Southern California and I suspect that our very first Guinea Pig ever is a cuy. Got him as a rescue from Petco(they gave him to us free). He is a large male age unknown. He is huge and red and skittish although we just got him yesterday, so I'm unsure if thats his nature or just scared from the move. He looks exactly like all the pictures posted of cuys. I'm concerned if we will be able to keep him seeing all the posts of how they aren't really good pets and not for the first timer. I'd love some feedback. I have 3 small kids so they are hoping for a cuddly GP. [/img][/url]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:23 pm

While they may generally be more jumpy, every guinea pig is different. It is satisfying to slowly win the trust of a guinea pig - though it can take months.

lisam

Post   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 pm

One of the local shelters contacted me. They've been getting in cuy the last several months. They asked me if I could take some, or know anyone that could.

So if there is anyone in the Seattle area that's experienced with guinea pigs and would like to take on a cuy or two, let me know.

mnm1malone

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Cuy's name is Thor
Got him around March 1st 2014
Got him from LA Guinea Pig Rescue
5 lbs 2 oz
Predominantly red with a white blaze and a bit around his neck
No abnormalities
Skittish, strong. Terrified when being picked up, but loves lap time. Will stay in a lap for an hour. Loves baby guinea pigs. We could tell he really wanted one of the babies in our house so we bonded them and it's helped him come out of his shell greatly. Now instead of hiding in his box, he'll lay out in the open when we walk by and I can even hand feed him pellets just leaning over his cage. He's come a long way.
I am not a shelter, but work with a shelter.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Cuy came to me un-named.

October 9, 2014

Was brought to me by a home health aid who thought she was a guinea pig.

Currently 2 lbs 8oz and maybe 6 months old.

Face is black with a white blaze on her noze body has long honey colored hair with some white. I have not yet been able to examine her closely as to number of toes....

she is very skittish and hates being picked up, has a history of nipping/biting. I am apparently the first person who has ever managed to have her sit still in my lap.

My Punkin was a 3lb 12oz male guinea pig and she is much longer than he was. I strongly suspect she is a mix with I don't know what breeds.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I have her picture uploaded now. She is lovely but her temper is not. After she was dropped off with me the people admitted they were afraid of her.