has anyone had experiences with a questionable rescue?

Babalon

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm

So I'm in a facebook argument with a "rescue" that admitted to breeding their child's favorite guinea pigs so that their "bloodline can continue". I adopted a female guinea pig from said rescue a few months back and she ended up having lice (which spread to my herd) and onset URI (at only 2 months old!!???), when I questioned the rescues owner/operator on the lice and URI she ignored me, then today she made nasty post about me when I asked her why shes breeding guinea pigs out of her "rescue"...

It blows my mind that there's shelters like this one out there, but I know any nut job can make a petfinder account and start collecting free guinea pigs from craigslist to "adopt out".

Any suggestions on how to avoid non-creditable shelters? I know this one wasn't a legitimate 501c nonprofit, does finding a rescue that is make a difference? I've adopted from another rescue in south Texas that also seemed more like a hoarding situation than a rescue, they too were not a registered 501c. I want to adopt another girl guinea pig but want to adopt it from a reputable rescue that is professional and practices good animal husbandry. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!!

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Word of mouth is probably your best bet.

Also it's for reasons just like what you wen through that quarantine is strongly recommended when you get a new pig:

https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Babalon

Post   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm

That's good advice, so is there any word on a good rescue in central Texas, because Second Chance Cavy Rescue breeds their animals.

I did quarantine the one I adopted from her for 2 weeks, which is how I detected her URI symptoms, the vet was the one that informed me she had lice. Only problem is I made the mistake of taking my 2 other girls to the rescue to have them "matched", and they were in the same crate together on the ride home. I guess I didn't take enough precaution -.-

Live and learn I guess.

I just am frustrated cause I don't want to buy from a petshop and support breeding, but both the rescues I've adopted from have guinea pigs getting sick and pregnant in their care... It's just sad reality for the animals more than anything really, I digress.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:23 am

I think researching them beforehand is the only option.

I was searching around for rescues when I was looking for my latest boy.

I did find one that a lot of people have adopted from, and I had a look on their website, facebook page and even googled for reviews.

What I found was quite surprising, it looked very much like a hoarder situation to me, and I've found out other information since which has surprised me. So, I've not adopted from there even though they said that they had lots of boys in (which was one of the triggers as most of the other rescues I'd contacted had either one single or none), and I'd probably pass on this information to anyone who mentioned that they were thinking of adopting from there.

clairey

Post   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

Yeah, a good Googling normally reveals what's really going on.

I noticed a piggy rescue I'd never heard of on Facebook that is reasonably close to me so I researched. It's a breeder. Who looks to be planning to breed skinnies. There's another one continually advertising 'rescued' pigs on Gumtree, also a breeder.

(I don't plan to adopt in the near future, I'm just keeping up to date with who I can go to when the time comes.)

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:27 am

A 501(c)3 does nothing to ensure that the animals will be well taken care of. It's a tax status. It means that you are a tax-exempt non-profit organization. It means that you've gone through a lot of paperwork to get the non-profit tax status.

You can be a great rescue and not be 501(c)3 and you could also be a lousy rescue and be a 501(c)3. So being 501(c) doesn't ensure anything.

In our area, you can pull animals free-of-charge from most shelters if you are 501(c)3. If you aren't a 501(c)3, then you'd have to go through the adoption procedures and pay the fees like anyone else.