Help with transport?

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:23 pm

So, I've been approved for adopting from OCCH out in California. I'm specifically looking to adopt a cuy or two. They are overwhelmed with them out there, and I'd love to help them out. I must admit to being interested in taking care of these special pigs as well.

So, if anyone is traveling out to California, and is willing to bring a cuy back here to NJ, please let me know. Of course, if you're landing close to NJ I'd be willing to travel towards you as well. My understanding is that United and Frontier airlines will both allow you to travel with a guinea pig in the cabin (not the cargo).

Please keep me in kind. Thanks!

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:12 pm

I'll be going from California to New York sometime around New Year's as I return from a short vacation. I know you'd probably want the piggies before then, but as a last resort that's when I'm traveling. I'd be landing in either Plattsburgh or Albany. Could keep them here awhile too if needed, but not too long.

Hopefully someone is actually going to New Jersey. I might be bringing back a rabbit as well so I'm not sure if there is a limit on pets we can travel with (2 passengers).

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Woo-Hoo! California's a big place. OCCH (Orange County Cavy Haven) is in in Orange County, Southern California. It looks like many of their foster homes are in Garden Grove.

My son won't be going out till June, so New Year's is definitely earlier than that.

Let me know as your plans firm up and if you are able to hep with this. I'll need to be in contact with OCCH. They'll want reassurance of travel plans and then we'll have to decide which cuy they would like to rehome.

I would certainly be able to drive up to you in Plattsburgh. That's close to the monastery I retreat at in West Park NY.

Thanks so much for offering! You're the best!

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Oh, I should have mentioned I used to volunteer for OCCH so I know the general area. I know we should be visiting Disneyland one day, but I would probably want to pick them up at the end of the trip. Either way we won't be more than an hour away from Orange County.

That would be great if you can meet me in Plattsburgh instead of having to drive from Albany. West Park is much closer to Albany though, so if you'd rather meet there I can probably do that. Gotta check the flight prices and see. Sometimes Plattsburgh is more expensive anyway.

Our vacation tentative dates are December 24th to January 1st. But I might stay a little longer if I don't have to return to work sooner.

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 pm

You're the bestest!!!

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:22 pm

I've gone back and forth with OCCH and with Pigglies. If everything wors out, Pigglies may be able to bring 2 cuys back east for me at the ebd of December. Herr are 2 possible candidistes:

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:23 pm

I've gone back and forth with OCCH and with Pigglies. If everything works out, Pigglies may be able to bring 2 cuys back east for me at the end of December. Here are 2 possible candidates, Adelaide & Emmeline :

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:21 pm

They are so cute! I hope it works out.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Ditto. You'll really be helping OCCH out if this works out.

You may want to warn your vet what's planned, just so s/he can be aware of the differences in cuy/cuy crosses from "normal" pigs.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:29 am

Emmy is recovering from some surgery - doing well after having her ovaries removed. The end of December is a ways off, so provide all things are well, they think she's a match for me.

Yup, already gave my vet the head's up. She and her tech (whom I love as well) had no idea what a cuy was, but promised me they'll do their homework.

Are there any really good links I could send them about medical care/needs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 am

I guess this means I should write one? ;-)

Maybe we can do a contributory thread with advice from cuy owners.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Pics of candidates!! This is going to be fun.l