Help with transport?

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:41 pm

They're so cute! At least I'll get to enjoy seeing their cuteness during the travel. :)

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Have you firmed up your plans at all? If you have some time (ha!) maybe you could send a quick email to Jen, just to connect with her?

cavyhaven.adoptions@gmail.com

Thanks!! Can't wait for them and it'll be great to visit with you too!

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Tickets haven't been purchased yet, but we're definitely going. I haven't been to CA in about 3 years, so I'm overdue for a visit. The dates shouldn't change much because those are the dates for Christmas break and my fiance is a teacher. He has the 24th through the 2nd off. So we might leave on the 2nd instead of the 1st, but that'd be about the only change.

I'll send Jen a quick email.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the only airline that allows them in the cabin is Frontier and you must make reservations because they limit the amount of animals allowed on a flight. I believe it is $75 per carrier and they only allow 1 animal per carrier except for birds.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-infor ... -with-pets

http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php ... c-animals/

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 pm

United also will alow guinea pigs in the cabin:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/travel-p ... 05469.html

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Okay, I would definitely call them though. One of our volunteers moved to Kentucky and when she flew back for a visit she adopted two pigs from the rescue. She had called ahead to Delta and was assured they were allowed in cabin. Once it was time to fly home they said no, they'd have to be checked as cargo as "rodents" aren't allowed in the cabin. She ended up having to fly back on Frontier so they'd be allowed in the cabin. I believe she forfeited her Delta ticket and had to buy a second ticket on Frontier.

I haven't personally called United but their website says dogs, cats and rabbits are allowed in cabin. I just want to save you some potential trouble.

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I will definitely call them to make sure. I've been on long car rides with guinea pigs before, so I'm not too worried about travel time. I wouldn't think a non-stop flight would even be an option though?

If it's $75 per pig to fly them, is that still ok? Just want to make sure.

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:35 pm

"8.Up to two (2) small animals may be transported in one travel container as follows: puppies or kittens (8-10 weeks old), hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, and small household birds."

Looks like they might be able to travel together. Says only one carrier per person for Frontier. And the pets count as your carry on. Shouldn't be a problem, wouldn't need a carry on bag on a return trip. If our luggage got delayed or something, it's not like we don't have other stuff to wear at home.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm pretty sure somewhere on here there's a thread on cuy. It'll have some physical and behavioral characteristics for your vet to review.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:30 pm

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 am

Yes, Pigglies, whatever the extra charge is, I'm happy to cover that. I appreciate you be willing to give up carry on bags, and all the other efforts and inconveniences you're going through for me!

Thanks for the links Talishan.

Pigglies

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Ok, I thought you'd say yes, but just had to check!

The OCCH team is being very helpful as well.