What does Shilintong look like?

Mode360

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to make sure I got the right pills and that they didn't change it.

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:19 pm

My little Pumpkin, who was abandoned on a doorstep to starve, is in pain. I have had her to the vet several times. We have had two ultrasounds and about 4 x-rays. She has sludge and cries when she pees. Much like Angel and Chippy from the other threads. I am interested in giving her Shilintong as we have tried everything else. Can someone give me an update on this stuff? I just ordered from Far East Ginseng, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't a mistake. :-(

I just love this little pig so much. I hate to see her like this.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 am

If she has sludge I'd say it's worth a try. It's not a miracle cure, but it might help a little. My boy has had two bladder stone surgeries, one in June 2013 and one in February 2014. He's now just showing signs of it returning, and he has shilintong daily.

When you say "you've tried everything else" what medications do you mean?

Is she on any pain relief? That can help lots when it's a mild pain.

Does she get extra fluids? That can help try to flush the sludge through.

If she has a lot of sludge has the vet tried a bladder flush? I've not tried this on my stone piggy but I've heard of others trying it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:04 am

At best, Shilintong might help some with inflammation and discomfort when urinating. I've used it myself when I've had a stubborn UTI. As far as I know, though, there's nothing in it that can help with sludge. What kind of diet is Pumpkin on?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:33 am

Have you considered extra subcutaneous fluids to help flush her out? A vibrating pad to suspend the calcium deposits?

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 pm

No, I had not heard of the vibrating pad, but it's worth a try. What does it do and where can I get one? I am going to start taking her hydration subques.

I should probably clarify our "routine". She cycles with pain. She can go a couple of weeks without an episode and then it hits. She has a couple or three bad days and it cycles, again.

She is on SMZ, Metacam and Tagamet, which has been used to treat Interstitial Cystitis in humans. It does seem that it is alleviating the severity of the episodes, but she hasn't been on it long enough for me to draw a conclusion. I also give her probiotics. She is prone to gas and has had one episode of stasis which, thank God, our vet got her through.

As far as diet, I've looked at some diets here. She seems to get worse when I feed her things like cilantro and parsley. I've been giving her red leaf lettuce and peppers. Tomatoes send her through the roof, so I avoid them.

Any suggestions for having them drink more? I refresh their water 2 or more times a day because they prefer it cold.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:14 pm

If it's cyclical, are you sure it's not a reproductive system problem?

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

We have looked at her ovaries and, at this time, they do not seem to be the problem. I most certainly have considered that myself.

I think it may have more to do with her cycle of antibiotics. She does have bladder thickening.

Her ultrasound showed sludge, but no discernible stones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Tomatoes surprise me - they are low in calcium. Does she have a constant UTI? Are you smelling anything that might indicate a bacterial infection?

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:38 am

She has had at least 4 cultures since last spring. Nothing has really shown up. I have no idea why that she cannot eat tomatoes. I wonder about the acid in them.