Yes, he is beautiful

Kimera

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Some new pictures of my cavies.
Bobcio today on my balcony
And here are all my own piggies

RayOfFngSunshine

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:12 pm

Your boys (and the fosters) are so adorable, and you take great pictures of them! You should totally have your own thread in the Cavy Chronicles; I would love to see/read more about your herd whenever you feel like updating, if you have the time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 pm

They are all so adorable! I'll move this to Cavy Chronicles.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm sorry to say that my beloved Bobcio is not doing well. In fact, he is very sick, and I think his condition is terminal.
As you know, he is almost eight years old, but up until now, he was healthy. In summer he started having problems with his genitals - tiny abscesses on his prepuce. They were flushed and treated with antibiotics, and it seemed that everything was okay.
I spent August and part of September in Canada, and my piggies were "at the spa" :), boarded with several other guinea pigs at my friend's place. They had a ball, being able to stay outside long hours and grazing in the garden, which was a rare treat for them, since I live in an apartment building.

They came home like kids, returning from a summer camp - dirty and happy!

However, soon after, Bobcio's health problems returned, and this time with vengeance. He began loosing weight rapidly and one day I found a lump in his groin area. The vet said that it might have been related to the other one which Bobcio had on his side for some time. Surgery was possible, but before that, it was necessary to do blood tests. Unfortunately, the results showed that my Bobcio's liver was in very bad shape. His liver enzymes, AsPAT were very elevated: 1562.5 U/l, while the norm was 27 - 68.
That suggested that his liver was almost destroyed, and the cause was probably a cancer. Metastases were not excluded. Of course, any surgery is out of question, Bobcio is too weak.
He was treated first with L-ornitine L-aspartate and phosphatidylcholines, which help with liver repair, with aim to improve his liver functions, but Bobcio's condition still worsened. Now he has problems with breathing, slight discharge from nostrils and murmurs above his bronchia. He has been treated aggressively as if he were a patient with pneumonia, with gentamycin injections twice a day, since yesterday. If it helps him, he is to be started also on a steroid, because it is the only thing that my vet thinks can help Bobcio. However, it seems now that this hope is very thin. He gets also Duphalyte and probiotics, and I'm feeding him HerbiCare, a powdered feed similar to Critical Care.
This is Bobcio a few days before:

Today he looks worse. Sometimes I worry that he is already dead, but he only sleeps. He lies so limp...
I am devastated.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm so sorry about Bobcio's condition. It's so hard to watch our little friends decline. I'm glad he had that wonderful summer vacation.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm sorry to hear Bobcio is doing poorly. I agree, it is very hard to watch our much-loved pets decline.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:01 pm

I am so sorry to hear he is not doing well. It sounds like he did have one wonderful summer vacation.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Sorry to read that Bobcio is not well and that things are so serious. However, glad that he's home with his family and being closely watched. It's never easy to see our special pigs go into decline, especially due to illness. Best wishes to you and that he continues to be comfortable.

Kimera

Post   » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:01 am

Bobcio died today. I have found him already dying this morning, and I rushed him to the vet. Euthanasia in his case was only the question of accelerating of stopping his heart action.
I want to bury him in my friend's garden, the place where he spent his last holidays.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:12 am

I am so sorry for your lost of Bobcio. RIP little one, you had a great life living to 8, you deserve a rest. Run free and popcorn in paradise thinking of the wonderful slave you had and holiday you enjoyed. Sending you big hugs, he was a handsome fellow.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 am

Sorry about Bobcio.