Isabelle - neurological problems

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:15 am

Isabelle is a pig I fostered and have now adopted. She was lopsided, and kept falling over. The original vet wanted to rule out any inner ear issues first, so she was on Baytril for about 3 weeks with no significant change. I think she's learning to adapt mostly.

I'm totally in love with her. Here are some pictures, by way of introduction. I'll get a video of her walking and toppling over later today so I can get her opinions and feedback.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:19 am

Wow, she is a doll, jacqueline!!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:41 am

What a pretty girl! My Arnold had a stroke and couldn't walk for a few weeks. He was such a tough boy, learnt to walk again. He managed to get around okay, so hopefully she can improve too!

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks folks! I'll get a video posted soon. I believe she's about 2. I'm working on getting more of her history. She's an intact female.

Izzy walks, mostly close to the edge, though occasionally will walk across an open space. If she's startled or tries to run away, she will fall over. The other day, one of her cage mates nudged her (it looked intentional to me) and tipped her over (the guinea pig version of cow tipping?).

Once she falls on her side, she struggles quite a bit to get up (it's actually a little funny). When I pick her up she definitely curls herself to the left, almost like the letter "C".

When she leans, or falls, it always appears to be towards the left side. This doesn't appear to be head tilt, though you never know.

As I said, she's been treated for ear infections.

We're scheduled to take her to the vet next week, so I'll keep everyone posted. But if you have any thoughts for now, feel free to share.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:42 pm

No helpful advice - but hoping you can get to the bottom of this!

lisam

Post   » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Does one or more of her eyes "roll"?

My vet did some acupuncture treatments on one of my "rolly" pigs. I can't remember if it helped.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Interesting. Isabelle's right eye doesn't roll, but looks a little like "pea eye".

lisam

Post   » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Does it look different than the other eye?

Have you had any X-rays done?

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:03 am

I'm in the process of trying to reconstruct her medical history. She's been at two rescue homes, and now mine - at least. I'm surprised at how often medical info (not to mention social history) doesn't come along with a piggie.

She did have xrays taken, with no indication of any problems. if you look at the above photo, you'll see her left eye. It does look a little "pop" eyed, and there's that layer of - what? extra lid? - underneath.

I'm eager to see what Dr. M. thinks.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:43 am

I was going to point out that her right eye looks a bit abnormal to me. It looks a bit like Lolly's eye here; slightly protruding and somewhat distant and not really in focus, and the vet thinks she has a mass behind it which is pushing it outward.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:48 am

Sadly interesting. Isabelle's last vet listed possible bran tumor as the cause for her neuro condition. I hope not. . .

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Let us know what Dr. M. says.