Pinniped's problems: random calcification (+ sludge, cysts)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:47 pm

You might find the answer here (I think you can):
www.guinealynx.info/.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Metacam + tramadol = OK
Metacam + pred = NOT OK
Tramadol + pred = OK
Any other narcotic like buprenorphine + Metacam = OK
Any other narcotic like buprenorphine + pred = OK

Pred may shrink the tumor and extend her quality time. Metacam and tramadol together will probably make her more comfortable.
Last edited by Talishan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Vet has upped the metacam, and I am doing both that and the tramadol. She's really nervous about putting Pinni on pred - I'm to give another update on Thursday, and go from there.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm

"She's really nervous about putting Pinni on pred"

Aaaaggggghhhhhh, almost all of them are. I've had very good success and no problems with it, but that's my experience only.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 am

Talishan, I wish that info was in the medication + dangerous medication reference on here! Lynx?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

See the analgesics page. It has warnings about mixing different analgesics.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 pm

The rule of thumb is that NSAID's and SAID's cannot be mixed. That is, do NOT mix a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug with a steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Narcotics can be put in the mix either way, although I will assume that a vet would not want to double up on narcotics. I don't know that (in an extreme case) it could not be done, though.

The trick is to know which is which. Pred is a steroid so it is obviously a SAID.

Metacam (meloxicam) = NSAID
Rimadyl (carprofen) = NSAID
Aspirin = NSAID
Motrin, Advil (ibuprofen) = NSAID
Tylenol (acetominaphin) = NSAID

Basically those can't (or shouldn't -- in a life or death case I would, actually) be combined with steroids because the effect of the two on the GI (potential ulceration) is more-than-the-sum-of-the-parts.

We had one sow who did not recover from spay surgery (that I am firmly convinced was botched, but that's another story). She had been given Metacam and a narcotic. I thought about adding pred into the mix, primarily for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. I didn't do so. I don't know that she would have made it if I had done so, but that's the kind of case (and really, the only kind of case) I'd consider making the exception to the rule.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:48 am

So sorry about Pinni, Pooksied. My vet was hesitant to give pred until it was a last resort, and I wish we could have tried sooner because of what others reported about its helping. Also, would lasix help with the fluid around her organs? Maybe ask vet about that? I hope The Schnoz has many more good moments than bad... and I know this year's Xmas photo shoot will be special for you, Pinni, and Cannoli. Hugs!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm

I spent most of the morning on the couch sitting with Pinni. She started to become wobbly last night, and this morning, she had trouble finding the lettuce, and sat over it but wouldn't eat it. So we knew the end was very near. We lost her around 1pm. She went peacefully, on her own, which I am so very grateful.

I will miss my nosy pig. December is an unlucky month for me and guinea pigs. I think she's the fifth one I've lost in December.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm so sorry that Pinni is gone. She knew how much she was cherished.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm so sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:17 pm

I am so sorry, PooksiedAnimals.