A Wink and a Wheek

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:37 am

Aww I love Mo! How are your boys doing dear? So there are 6 of them now if I'm not mistaken? :) Mo, Mason, Mortar, Jacques, Randall and Sanford? And wow!! Give some sscritches to Mo for me! I am so proud of him being a very strong healthy boy!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:25 pm

My goodness, my goodness. A whole FOUR years since any posts in my piggies' Cavy Chronicle! Shame on me!

A quick catch-up:

Mortar, "Mort-Mort":
ImageMortar was a sweet pig who loved having his mutton chops scritched. He left us in 2010 after having some health issues we weren't able to figure out.

The Most Amazing Mo-Man
Mr. Mo was the silliest, sweetest, and most resilient piggies to ever grace our herd. He had two surgeries in 2010, one of which was to remove a leg as a result of bone infection see thread here: viewtopic.php?t=55191&highlight=. He thrived as a tripod piggie for 2 years until old age finally caught up with him. It was during Hurricane Sandy that Mo left us.

Randall:
Randall is that piggie we all have at some point that, though we say we don't have favorites, is definitely the favorite. He was, by far, one of the sweetest piggies we've ever had. He was an amazing nanny-boar to Sanford & Grady & eventually to Sully, too. And thought hey all eventually turned out to beat him up (har har), he remained happy-go-lucky and carefree even in his final days. We lost Randall in 2013 (thread here: viewtopic.php?t=67546&highlight=). To this day, there are still moments where I miss this piggie like mad.

Randall teaching his new brudder how this snuggle thing works:

More to come...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes, an update very needed!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Presenting, His Royal Highness, King Grady.

*ahem*

Hewwo, peoples an' piggies of the interwebs. I am the King. My mama says I am a gentle, sweet pig. I say that I am the King, and therefor am mighty and awesum. Here is me posing regally with my papa:

An' me with mama:

I rule over the herd from my big fluffy throne couch. My brudder, Sanford, resides with me. He likes the throne couch, too, but mostly because I like to sit there. Here we are having a pignic. See me? I'm so handsome. Sanford's bum is in the background. He doesn't like it outside. Image

My favorite food is pellets. Mama says I lose my mind whenever I hear the jangle of the pellet container being opened. We don't get pellets but for a few times a week. Mama keeps saying she hasn't received the Royal Decree of Neverending Pellets, but I've sent it a bunch of times now. On this, Sanford and I have agreed. Mama is holding out...

**Sanford butts in**

ImageDid someone say pellets?

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Meanwhile next door...

Once upon a time, Amanda and Daniel were ropped into rescuing a three year old piggie named Oreo who grew up in a pre-school classroom. The teacher was desperate for a finding him a home, and through word of mouth, A & D ended up saying "yes." Amanda picked up Oreo from her cousin's house and quickly set up the new piggie in their new cage.

Upon closer examination, we realized Oreo wasn't a boy at all but A GIRL! GASP! We'd never had girls before. Oreo became Aveline, and she was soooo happy to have a new home. She had never eaten vegetables before, and though it took her a few days, after encountering grass for the first time in her life, she realized that good things came from eating green.

Aveline was with us for about two months before she suddenly became ill and passed away. Her death hit D & I both pretty hard, I think because it was so amazing to see her go from a shy, lethargic, uninterested piggie to a sleek, sweet, snuggly sweetie in such a short time. We wanted to have more time with her.

Aveline was the first "new" pig we'd had in a few years, and it sort of rekindled the flame...

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Sullivan vanSullypig joined the herd in 2011. He came to us from the Humane League. He was the most skittish piggie I've ever seen. When I walked into the small animal room he was as fast as lightning and bouncing off the walls in a hurry to get away from me. I was nervous about having such an anxious piggie, if only b/c my heart hurt for him and how scared he was. Sully has been w/ us now for several years. He is a GIANT goof ball. Though he's come out of his shell quite a bit, he still has bouts of anxiety that has him running to hide in a blur of fur to the nearest hidey spot.

But when he's out with us? He DEMANDS attention.

He's a spunky one, he is. We joke that if he had a human voice, he'd sound like Mayor Quimby/JFK, which has led to Daniel & I talking "for" Sully many times. (we can't be the only ones that do this...right?!? We have whole conversations w/ Sully). In fact, Sully has a whole "backstory" now. He runs a speakeasy out of the pigloo called "The Loo." Here he has a featured "entertainer" each Friday night (one night it was Betina Fatbottom. At least that's what he told us), and the featured drink is always "that delishus water" paired with fat piggie "cigars", aka pellets. In reality, Sully is just hunkered down in the double-loo mumbling happily to himself.

Sully was a huge comfort for me when Mo and Randall passed away. It's almost like he knew he had pig shoes to fill, and he put on his big boy undies and stepped up to being mama's new snuggle bug.

He even inherited Mo's camo tent and has put it to good use.

Sully LOVED having Aveline next door. He'd shared one wall with Sanford & Grady, but having GIRL next door??!??! Holy cow. So this got the wheels in my head spinning, which almost always means trouble...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:52 am

Aw, what charmers you have!

TexCavy

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 am

So many gorgeous pics!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:07 am

In August, I got a Facebook message from my cousin. She'd gotten word of two young guinea pigs that had bounced around Craigslist and been in a few different homes. She immediately thought of me (she's SUCH an enabler), and after talking it through with Daniel, we decided to see what we could do. I drove to the neighboring county and picked up two piggies who were being kept in a kitty litter container. I had no idea what gender they were, or what they even looked like.

Imagine my delight when I pulled up and saw these faces:

Their story was a weird one. The guy who I got them from took them in because he'd seen they'd been bounced around previous homes and relisted each time on Craigslist. His fiancee ended up being allergic, and he wanted to rehome them, but to someone who wasn't...er...nuts. (*disclaimer - we're nuts, but in a good way). He was told that they were bred as therapy animals for autistic children. *insert skeptical brow cock here* After doing some digging through Craigslist, I'm pretty sure they were the result of two classroom piggies being not two girls, but one boy and one girl.

Regardless, though they got off to a rough start, they're now doing amazingly well in our herd! Abigail was about 4 months old when she came to us, and thankfully ended up not being pregnant after being housed w/ her brother for the first 4 months of her life.
We call her The Mop because that's what she looks like when she's flying around her cage. She loves to tease Sully through the bars, then run to the OTHER wall and egg on Sanford and Grady. She's a rare piggie that sits calmly and quietly with us when we have her out.

Sully was excited to have a girlfriend again, but what really got him excited was his new BROTHER:

RUFUS!!

I felt bad having to separate Ru from Abigail, so I was really hoping he'd hit it off with Sully. Now, Rufus was a terrified lil' baby boy when I first laid eyes on him. I was curious to see how Sully would handle Rufus's Hot Mess.

Imagine my delight when...

THESE TWO!?! Hilarious. I never knew Sully had it in him to be a nanny boar! He stepped up immediately. Daniel & I sat them on the floor and watched them for about an hour while they figured out their hierarchy. Ru wanted nothing more than to hide under Sully's Epic Fluff butt, and Sully, after realizing Ru wasn't trying to assert himself, tolerated it, and even seemed kind of proud to, for once, be the brave one. I rebuilt the cages so they had a nice epic spread. These two are the first successful pairing we've had since our first pigs, Bear and Mo! D & I were SOOOOO pleased and excited.

In the four months we've had Abigail and Rufus, they've really blossomed into little spunky piggies. Abigail is the princess (Grady told her so, and he'd know since he's The King) and Rufus is a total happy-go-lucky little jokester. He reminds me of Mo - he loves to tease Sully and he loves to play.
I was doing a cage clean and had the boys in the temp cage, and when I turned around after hearing a weird sound, this is what I saw:

Can't you just see both of them giggling?

arnzillazor

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Very cute! Love 'em. :)

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Your pigs are adorable and so glad that Sully and Rufus are getting along.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 am

I was pretty content w/ five piggies, but I felt a bit for Abigail being a lone piggie and the sole girl. But, hey, she seemed happy and enjoyed teasing Sully through the cage wall.

Then this happened. A friend messaged me about getting some guinea pigs and asked for some advice. I chatted her ear off about cages and adopting via shelters, which led to me looking up guinea pig listings via Petfinder and such around me. *cue sigh* My local SPCA is a newer shelter here, and their listings were confusing. I tried to call to see if they could tell me if they had any piggies, but it was an automated system that led to having to leave a message. So what'd I do? I drove there.

First mistake.

Second mistake was falling head over heels for a pair of skinny pig girls up for adoption.

I immediately texted the hubs with something like "ERMEHGERD SKINNEH PIGS!" To which his response was "le sigh." I snuggled them a bit and took some pics. I'd never actually held a skinny pig before, so that was pretty cool. But, dang it, I needed to exercise self control. I did NOT need to add more pigs to my herd. NO, AMANDA! So I walked away.

Annnnnnd five days later walked back in and adopted them. I'm such a sucker.

Molly & Penelope joined the family. And OH! These two...

Molly is pretty skittish and Penelope is the polar opposite. While Molly hides in the Pigloo whenever I come into the room, Penelope saunters right out and stands up on her hind legs to get proper support to let out a wail of sound in demanding food. And attention. She's a big ham. Molly will take a little time, but in the two weeks we've had them now, she's starting, little by little, to come around to us.

Penelope

Molly

I'm pretty sure this is it for us. I had told Daniel that someday I wanted to have a skinny pig, but the only way we'd be comfortable w/ that happening is through some sort of rescue situation. And that's why I just couldn't get these two out of my head. How crazy was it that TWO skinny pigs showed up at the SPCA? *scratches head*

So now, Abigail shares a wall with her new sisters. She's not too sure what to make of these two, yet, but she's picked up on the fact that it drives Penelope a little nuts when she eats her food right smack against the wall. So of course that's exactly what she does (she's SUCH a little diva). Rufus and Sully continue to thrive, as do Sanford and Grady, who have now moved to a penthouse suite that overlooks the the other pigs. I've caught Rufus a few times standing on top of the pigloo and chattering to Sanford above.

I can't stand how bloody adorable these pigs are! We're back to having seven, a number I swore to never revisit. But I'm loving every minute of it.