Isabelle - neurological problems

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Sorry for not updating sooner. Dr. Mickley took look at Izzy and believes her condition is either the result of an injury or some sort of neurological event. Either way, there’s nothing to do at this point except monitor her.

Isabelle’s been doing okay. She and blossom have become very good friends. She’s put on some weight (a lot) so, that’s good.

Here’s where I could use the GL mind. I’ve attached a YouTube video of Isabelle. I took this at dinner time. It’s terribly painful for me to watch, but I couldn’t have asked for a better video of exactly what happens with her.

I have tried not to intervene with her when she topples. I’m not always home, and she needs to be able to get herself upright by herself. I do have to rethink the cage environment again I think. I need to remove the fleece tent since she could get caught in it. I also have to be very careful to keep the ground level. Any lump or bump is a potential for her to topple. Also, this afternoon she was in a free standing hidey, moving around inside, and the whole hidey rolled over, with her in it, with the opening down. I’m not sure she could have gotten out of that alone. I need to secure all the hideys and prevent them from moving.

Here’s where I need help. I can’t detect any muscle weakness or problems actually moving her legs or hips. I just wonder if something like the roxy roller would her to keep her in an upright and stable position. I’m not sure any device would be temporary, leading to her strengthening something, but I’m looking at perhaps rigging something to give her more stability and prevent her from toppling.

Thoughts?

By the way, Isabelle had just had a min-bath, so it's her trying to shake off after her bath and blow dry that triggers this topple.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Bless her heart, it is painful to watch.

I wonder if there were things in the cage that she could push against when she turns over if it would help? Maybe bricks placed around the open areas?

Does she seem to be learning to turn herself over at all, or is it as bad as when you got her?

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Mostly, when she walks through open spaces, she crouches low to the ground. other times she will walk close to the edges.

I'm of 2 minds here (at least). I was hoping giving her open space would help her gain confidence and get better balanced. I was also hoping that she'd learn how to right herself better.

Neither seems to be happening.

Should I create a semi separate safe room for her? I take a small corner of the cage (about the size of a 1x1 c&c) and put soft bumpers on the side. I could place the food, water and hay in such a way that she could get to them by walking along the sides.

She could go out into the larger space if she wanted, and Blossom could come into the smaller space as well.

I guess the real question is should I try for rehab or accommodation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:51 pm

It seems to me we had a guinea pig with a similar problem. I vaguely remember the guinea pig using the sides of the cage to navagate - but I remember so little!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:22 pm

"I guess the real question is should I try for rehab or accommodation?"

IMHO only -- accommodation. The semi-separate safe room, with access in and out, soft bumpers on the side and hay, food and water inside, sounds like a great idea to me.

Ideally Blossom could learn to help her right herself, but I'm not sure that's something that could be taught. If it were to spontaneously happen, though, that'd be great.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 am

Hmmm. . .I'll have to work on that semi-separate area. The wheels are turning. . .

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm so sorry she's having problems. She's just adorable.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Here's my initial attempt to set something up for her. I ruled a number of other things out. It had to be stable enough so that if she fell against it, it would stand, and also soft enough for her not to get hurt, but hard enough for her to lean against and get up.

Thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:56 pm

If you have time to watch, maybe you can figure out how well this arrangement works. Hard to know! You might want to see how well she does in a narrow corridor.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 am

Ditto Lynx.

That could work just fine. I could also see where she might get wedged in one of the triangles and not be able to get up OR out.

It's devilishly difficult to try to figure out what position they'll get into and where in the cage. We've tried with those of ours who had mobility problems.

It may work just fine, or it may need some refinements. Any way you can rig up a pig cam?

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 am

I've actually removed the contraption. She was getting lost in the triangles. she actually seems to be doing okay now that I've moved her hay, pellets, ect closer to her warming pad and hidey.

Blossom still has plenty of room to run around and do zoomies and popcorn.

I'll continue to watch and ponder, and if anyone has any other ideas to share, feel free.

I wish there were some sort of soft contraption like the roxie roller that she could wear that might help keep her righted.

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 am

sorry, double post.