possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Yes, you're right.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Somebody with a neutered boar would have to answer that. I don't know whether it's the semen that makes it sticky/gluey or not.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

"can boars create boar glue if fixed???"

OHHHH YEAHHHHHHH they can! And plenty of it! As far as I can tell, the discharge (dried seminal fluid) is the same whether neutered or not. Some males will discharge slighly less once neutered, but that's not consistent and as far as I know, the load's the same -- he's just shooting blanks.

I'd bet on the boar glue or mucous plug also. Sniff her butt. Does it have an odd or bad (i.e., not pee) smell? It could conceivably be fungal, a yeast overgrowth or possibly a discharge from her reproductive tract, but I'd guess that to be less likely than boar glue or mucous plug.

Is she eating, drinking, urinating, defecating and otherwise acting normally?

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Talishan...oh, blech. HAHA!

Yes, she is eating normal, acting normal...Actually, after i cleaned her, i sat on my couch to write on here, and i was watching her, worrying. She popcorned and went into a hidey. Oh, guinea pigs.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Its goo that is coming out of her vagina...

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:55 pm

anybody know anything about pyometra?--it's coming out of her vagina. It is goo-like, which is making me think infection, but i don't know...Its coming out pretty steadily(she'll be wet over a 4-5 hour period). It doesn't smell--she just smells like a slightly pee-y ginger-pig.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 am

Is the goo the reddish smear in the photos?

How long has it been coming out?

If it is the whitish glob in the second photo, are you sure that's not just sludgy urine, and she may be dribbling due to a UTI?

I had one pig with (possible) pyometra along with ovarian cysts, and symptoms were nothing like this. She had overly hormonal behavior and loss of fur on her underside (due to the cysts) on top of significant weight loss and pain (maybe due to the pyometra?) but no discharge.

ETA: if that is sludgy urine that is dribbling out, then your pig *could* develop urine scald pretty quickly.

My little boy was incontinent during the last few weeks of his life, and he not only consistently smelled like pee, but his underside was slightly damp, and his front foot pads were turning red (the rest of him was black). I just started changing out his bedding as soon as he soiled it, and the smell/redness went away.

That you indicate your piggie smells like pee makes me think that may be more of what is going on here.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:20 am

Yes, yes the 'reddish smear' is what i'm talking about. It is yellow-darkish in the light, it appears red in the picture(horrible camera, horrible light). As far as i can tell, only recently. Now, to my horror, i remember a time about a week ago that i wiped the same stuff off of her. I didn't think much about it, wiped it off, and went off checking everyone else(it was only a little bit, i thought she just had some pee on her).

The white globish thing is part of her vagina.

I dont know what it is. I read threads about mucus plugs, and this is nothing like it. Its a steady goo coming out, not a little bit and then an actual mucus plug. Its deff. coming out of her vagina, i checked thoroughly. Has this discharge ever happened with a UTI??? I checked the UTI page, it covers blood and squealing when peeing or pooping. But she hasn't done either, She is acting normally, but has this discharge.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:45 am

I would vote no to both mucus plugs and boar glue, and yes to possible UTI and/or reproductive problem.

If you are sure the discharge is coming from the vagina, then you need to get an ultrasound on her, to check her reproductive system. Could be a developing problem there.

But if it is a UTI and there is blood in the urine, and it is extra concentrated from being off her water a bit because she does not feel well, or sludge is present, and she is dribbling it, then that could explain the darkish smear.

When my little boy's cystitis started last summer, he was dribbling thick, reddish-brown urine at the start. A course of Bactrim seemed to clear that up, although I admit we never did find any infection.

If you can swing it, I would go for a vet visit at this point. Do a urinalysis and ultrasound and see what you find.

Or just keep a close eye on her for awhile, and gather more evidence.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:57 am

The whole time (or for, at least the last hour) I've had her in a makeshift area with white towels, and she just pee'd. It is absolutely clear, She backed up, pee'd fine, with no coloration to her pee. I'm waiting to see if maybe it will dry another color, but she was fine. !!! Ugh. Frustrating...I'm trying to gather more evidence, but she is not making it easy! I would love to pop into the vet, but i only have 30 dollars to my name until the 16th. I can't even get carecredit. Dammit.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:59 am

Also, when i cleaned her, i applied a tiny amount of desitin to the area where she was getting wet. Don't know if that was a good idea, but i just want to keep her dry...

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:11 am

Personally, I would just keep close watch on her. Does not sound like an emergency at this point, and more evidence can help streamline a future vet visit down to just the diagnostics you may need, rather than poking and prodding and guessing at what is going on. That can get very expensive, very fast.

Desitin may be a good idea, so long as she does not mind it. I know the pigs are not supposed to ingest it, so be careful of that.

I never did bathe or apply desitin to my boar who was developing urine scald -- he just needed not to be laying on his wet bedding too long, and that solved the problem.