possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 pm

She is dribbling pee. I've been watching her, and that's what shes doing. I think i thought it was gooey because there was such a build-up of pee, and it got cold on her skin, turning it onto a gross-feeling buildup of urine. She is dribbling pee, and i don't know why. She is starting to get bald where it's sitting(right above her vagina). It smells like pee, it looks like pee, it feels like pee. It's almost like her vagina is extra wet, with all of the pee dribbling out.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 pm

I recommend getting a urine culture done. Maybe even an ultrasound and/or x-ray. She may have a UTI or something that is putting pressure on her bladder. Does she appear bloated at all?

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 pm

No she doesn't seem bloated. In fact, she seems perfectly fine, which is putting me off. I just called my wonderful, wonderful vet(he's an exotics) and He is only open for half-days on fridays. I told him my predicament(money, and also travel, because i work). His practice is about an hour, to an hour and a half away(towards Pittsburgh, its the only place to find exotic vets around here.). So, knowing that i couldn't come in, He sent me a prescription for Bactrim. I know its .5 twice a day for 2 weeks, but, besides that, i guess ill figure out the strength tomarrow when i go to pick it up. He told me to call him in about 5 days, if it's not improving, he'll fit me in, and we'll need to do xray's. Thank god for him! Anything i can do until then to keep her dry and comfortable?

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Anything specific i should know when battling a UTI? I know they are harder than most ailments to keep track of with Guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Dribbling pea can be incontinence. If it is frequently/always wet down there, the possibility of infection is greatly increased.
www.guinealynx.info/_scald.html
www.guinealynx.info/.html

Sludge can contribute to the incontinence.
www.guinealynx.info/.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm pretty sure i feed a low calcium diet. Usually they get a 'spring mix', 1 slice cucucmber(each), 1 cherry tomato(each), Tons of mini sweet peppers(red, orange, yellow), ocassionally carrots, ocassionally apples. I feed them oxbow adult cavy cuisine(about 1/2 cup, for 4 pigs, every day and a half), and KMS third cut timothy hay.

And what i'm curious about...On the UTI page, it talks about crying while going to the bathroom, or blood. I'm not having either of those...i'm just worried.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Oxbow pellets have calcium carbonate as the calcium source, and there are many of us who have had pigs with sludge/stone problems when eating Oxbow. I'd recommend switching to KMS, as those are the only pellets I know of that use a different calcium source.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I have a stone pig that had eating nothing but KMS pellets for 2.5 of her 3 years when she developed two stones.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Oh, i didn't know that...guess next time i buy hay, i'm going to be buying pellets, too...

It's scary to think i could have a stone pig. i'm worried...i hope she doesn't have a stone.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 am

You have an absolutely awesome vet. Use the Bactrim in case of a UTI. Give her some probiotics too, just to be safe and help her tolerate it.

From what you describe, my money's on sludgy pee; it can be pretty goopy if it's bad enough, but better that than form into a stone.

Good luck to her and to you and please keep us posted.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36 am

I like your vet, too. Reasonable in expectations and respectful of your needs. Need more like that.

If you are seeing only incontinence and some resultant urine scald in your Ginger-pig, then that is encouraging. Both conditions are very treatable. Don't worry that there is no blood or pain yet. You don't want to see any blood or pain. Not now, not ever, if you can help it. And, if you can make the needed dietary adjustments now, you may never see cystitis/stones develop. Hope that is how this turns out.

Get her on the Bactrim and ditch the Cavy Cuisine and I bet you will solve a large part of the problem.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:24 am

She just started a new symptom:shaking. I'm worried it's from pain...

EDIT: and just as quickly as it started, it stopped. Maybe i'm worrying too much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 am

Do you have an accurate scale that weighs in grams? Could you weigh the amount of cucumber you give in a serving/day?