possible urine scald

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Shivering can be a sign of pain, and it does come and go. Keep an eye on that, and her weight. You may need to give her something for pain for a few days.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I have a scale that weighs in pounds/grams...Right now she is 2 lbs 4 oz.

But weighing for little things...i don't think i would trust it. I give maybe a 1/4''...or Less? But they usually get one everyday. I'd say i give about 1/4'' of about a 2 inch wide cucumber. Not enough to really get full on, but enough to get some extra water and for a treat.

Okay, Jacqueline, thank you. I didn't know that...now i feel terrible. I thought maybe she could be cold, so i put her in a cuddle cup, earlier. She probably didn't want moved at that moment, and here i was, moving her around. Crap.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Take a deep breathe. You're doing a GREAT job. You're asking all the right questions. None of us knew everything in the beginning either. You live and learn alot with these piggies every day.

You may be able to see from all the different responses sometimes that we usually can't know for sure what's going on with them - they refuse to speak! So we guess - it's hit and miss. After awhile you'll know your piggie better and be able to better read her signals. Until then, you just do the best you can. . .

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Thank you...You guys have been really helpful and supportive. I'm a bundle of nerves, though, and apparently everyone can hear it! Gah.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Cranberry pills? I have them, because i have UTI problems, and take them regularly. It's from Spring valley(i believe, a Walmart Brand). It is (literallly just reading the bottle to you)...'Standardized Extract CRANBERRY 500mg'. OTHER INGREDIENT: GELATIN.

SUPPLEMENT FACTS:Cranberry Powder(500 mg)
(vaccinium macrocarpon)(fruit)
(standardized to contain 1.5% proanthocyanidins, 7.5 mg)

Also...I panicked, and i just took all of their pellets out of their cage. Will that be bad for them? I'm scared to take away something right now that is food because she needs all the padding she can get right now.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Cranberry pills for pigs? Useless, in my opinion. It may prevent infection in humans, but human urine is acidic, and guinea pig urine is basic. That means that what reacts in one will react differently, or not at all, in the other. And they're no good, even in people, if an infection is already present.

You only picked up the Bactrim yesterday, right? Give it time to work. If it's not an infection, it won't work, and then you can try something else, or see the vet later.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Okay, thank you, Bpatters. I didn't know that it didn't work in humans if something was already present, either. Interesting.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:17 pm

"Also...I panicked, and i just took all of their pellets out of their cage. Will that be bad for them? I'm scared to take away something right now that is food because she needs all the padding she can get right now."

I think they may be better off to continue with these pellets until you can replace them. Just make sure that she is getting enough fluid to flush out the excess calcium and salt. Maybe syringe some water to her. Also make sure that your water is not also high in calcium. You are right in that she will need her extra padding, especially if there is an illness.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Okay, thank you, PinkRufus...

I'm going to look at our water and i'll look at the minerals in it. I have city water...so hopefully it wont be so high.

EDIT:...i have no idea what i'm doing. How do you find out if your water is high in calcium?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:59 pm

"How do you find out if your water is high in calcium?"

Your best bet would be to use a Brita filter first, then it won't be too high.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:23 pm

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Try this:

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

This one is better?